Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

Putting aside that many thought it an odd pick at #5, what did we think we were getting in Cowser? I was under the impression he was a high avg/high on base guy who played well above average defense in centerfield.  That's pretty much what he's delivered to this point. We'll see how he does in AA where he's two years younger than average, but I'm fine w/his progress so far. As has been noted, the power numbers should increase now that he's left Aberdeen. On a side note, does anyone know why they configured the fence distances that way? Did Cal have much input?

Edited by Gentile4

6 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

Putting aside that many thought it an odd pick at #5, what did we think we were getting in Cowser? I was under the impression he was a high avg/high on base guy who played well above average defense in centerfield.  That's pretty much what he's delivered to this point. We'll see how he does in AA where he's two years younger than average, but I'm fine w/his progress so far. As has been noted, the power numbers should increase now that he's left Aberdeen. On a side note, does anyone know why they configured the fence distances that way? Did Cal have much input?

I think Cowser had a spike in his power numbers his last year of college.

He isn't a huge power guy but he's a little Markakis-y. 

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think Cowser had a spike in his power numbers his last year of college.

He isn't a huge power guy but he's a little Markakis-y. 

I'll take Markakis with more speed, even with a slightly weaker arm.   Markakis was close to 3000 his for his career - if that's the high bar, sign me up.  We have power hitters elsewhere  - just need baserunners.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

I'll take Markakis with more speed, even with a slightly weaker arm.   Markakis was close to 3000 his for his career - if that's the high bar, sign me up.  We have power hitters elsewhere  - just need baserunners.

Well, Markakis wasn’t that close to 3000.     But at 2388, he’s 127th all time.   If Cowser turns out to be as good as Markakis, I’d be very pleased.  There’s only been six 1:5 picks with a higher career rWAR than Markakis (who, of course, was picked 7th in 2003 and had the second-highest  rWAR of any player drafted that year, behind Ian Kinsler and just ahead of Adam Jones).   

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Not to nitpick because I don't know how good Cowser's arm is, but it has to be very good to be "slightly weaker" than Markakis'.

I do think he can have higher defensive value than Markakis, who was steady in the outfield but didn't have great range. But it'll be hard to have that throwing ability. Can he be the same hitter? That would be wonderful and makes for a wonderful profile.

For those not aware, Cowser had a .962 OPS in June this year. His slow start ended. That said, his July has started slowly, but it's early and he is adjusting to a new league.

Cowser is supposed to have above average speed and above average arm. I always thought Markakis' arm was overrated around here. It was above average but I never felt it was elite.  He had average speed in the beginning but I think it became below average. 

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser is supposed to have above average speed and above average arm. I always thought Markakis' arm was overrated around here. It was above average but I never felt it was elite.  He had average speed in the beginning but I think it became below average. 

Markakis was deadly accurate based on what I can remember.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He didn't have elite arm strength.  But he had very good arm strength and it was very accurate.  Whatever word you want to give it, it was well above average.

I think people also remember Markakis' arm after several years in the major. I think it went from plus or plus plus to more like above average/plus, if that makes sense.

He didn't maintain great arm strength, but by memory at least I think he had it for several years.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think people also remember Markakis' arm after several years in the major. I think it went from plus or plus plus to more like above average/plus, if that makes sense.

He didn't maintain great arm strength, but by memory at least I think he had it for several years.

The neck injury didn’t help.  Arm was still accurate though.