Keegan Akin 2022

Frobby

45 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I do wonder if Watkins struggles and they aren’t ready for Grayson yet if they will put Akin short term back in the rotation.  That said he is throwing so well I’m not sure I would mess with that. 

It’s gotta bet tempting, but I think his value in relief is huge. This is typically the point in the season that our bullpen starts getting overworked, which really can snowball quickly. He’s like a second string starter, and with even more young starters coming up, we’ll need Akin to eat up innings and keep us in games on those days when the starter fails early. And he’s thriving early in the season when he’s struggled in the past. I wouldn’t change his role at this point. 

Yet another outstanding outing from Akin tonight: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K’s. 

Not only does he have a 1.33 ERA, he’s thrown 27 innings in 40 games, the most of any pitcher in MLB who hasn’t started any games.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Stick an opener in the first and let Akin be a bulk guy. Build up his innings and he can be equally as effective as a good starter. The question is, how many times can he get through a lineup before things fall apart?

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Stick an opener in the first and let Akin be a bulk guy. Build up his innings and he can be equally as effective as a good starter. The question is, how many times can he get through a lineup before things fall apart?

Interesting idea since I think Akin would lose effectiveness if he went back to being a starting pitcher. Perhaps Akin coming in after the opener, and getting stretched out to 4 inning or so might work. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2022 at 12:26 AM, Frobby said:

Yet another outstanding outing from Akin tonight: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K’s. 

Not only does he have a 1.33 ERA, he’s thrown 27 innings in 40 games, the most of any pitcher in MLB who hasn’t started any games.   

Bulk reliever so far. Talk about attacking the zone and trusting your stuff. I say keep letting him have success and build confidence. Then you could always try him as a starter again. 

It’s like a failed QB, just because they had to be a backup for a few years, doesn’t mean you can’t go back to them. 

Akin with another 2.1 scoreless tonight, getting the last out of the 7th inning and pitching the 8th and 9th, all in a tie game.   6 of the 7 outs he recorded were via strikeout.  

The 9th inning was interesting: 3-pitch strikeout, 3-pitch strikeout, 4-pitch walk, 5-pitch walk, 3-pitch strikeout.   

• 1 month later...

To me it looks like the magic has kind of worn off on Akin.

He's allowed 16 baserunners in his last 15.1 IP with 7 ER.

Before that stretch? 6 ER in 34 IP.

He's still plenty useful, but I just don't see the "unconscious" level of command and stuff he was showing earlier. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

To me it looks like the magic has kind of worn off on Akin.

He's allowed 16 baserunners in his last 15.1 IP with 7 ER.

Before that stretch? 6 ER in 34 IP.

He's still plenty useful, but I just don't see the "unconscious" level of command and stuff he was showing earlier. 

He looks a little weary.   Hopefully some rest at the ASB will refresh him.