Bruce Zimmerman 2022

Bahama O's Fan

On 5/4/2022 at 4:20 PM, jamalshw said:

And it would make the Gausman trade look a lot better, but that deadline still looks horrible as a whole...just a complete waste. I do agree that him as a mid-rotation option really takes pressure off having to develop too many of the non-Grayson/Hall prospects.

We also dumped O’day’s contract and secured the #1 overall pick. 

I like Zimmerman’s game. Especially with OPACY favoring LH batters now with the wall moved back. 

I wish someone would fix the spelling of Zimmermann’s name in the thread title. 

A good outing by Zim today.   He’d allowed 2 runs through 6 IP, one of which was partially due to McKenna misplaying a double and allowing the runner to get to third, from which he scored on a sac fly.   But he clearly was losing it in the 6th, allowing two loud outs to the deep OF (one on an excellent running backhand catch near the wall by McKenna) to end the inning.   It was very obvious he’d been lucky to escape that inning unscathed and should be removed.  But for some reason Hyde left him in and the leadoff hitter in the 7th absolutely tattooed the first pitch he saw for a long home run.   Then Hyde belatedly pulled him.  So, his line ended up at 6 IP, 3 R.

Solid outing but 5-6 IP may be his absolute limit. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A good outing by Zim today.   He’d allowed 2 runs through 6 IP, one of which was partially due to McKenna misplaying a double and allowing the runner to get to third, from which he scored on a sac fly.   But he clearly was losing it in the 6th, allowing two loud outs to the deep OF (one on an excellent running backhand catch near the wall by McKenna) to end the inning.   It was very obvious he’d been lucky to escape that inning unscathed and should be removed.  But for some reason Hyde left him in and the leadoff hitter in the 7th absolutely tattooed the first pitch he saw for a long home run.   Then Hyde belatedly pulled him.  So, his line ended up at 6 IP, 3 R.

In today's game, that makes him a horse.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Great number 5 guy. But gotta see if he can build that up which is likely what Hyde was doing.

• 2 months later...

I took a look at Zimmermann's minor league stats since I hadn't heard about him in a while. He's doing alright, 3.83 ERA. But what I noticed was he's only given up 1 HR in 40 innings. He gave up 18 homers in his 67.2 Baltimore innings this year.

Did he just have a slump where he threw way too many meatballs against hot offenses? Some sort of pitch tipping only MLB hitters are picking up on? Harbor Park saving him?

Whatever it is, his AAA stats are fine but not notable enough to earn a promotion for non-injury reasons. With the rotation doing well, Hall/Rodriguez approaching, and SP the most likely target for free agency, you wonder if Zimm's chance to crack the rotation is done. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Zimmermann just posted 7.2 IP with 3H,  8 Ks, & 0 BBs for the Tides.  Haven't heard his name much recently since the stellar start to the season.  

And we will need an extra starter for the doubleheader Monday.   Could be him, just one extra day of rest.   Of course he is a lefty Toronto is loaded with RH bats.   So maybe they go Harvey instead.

31 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And we will need an extra starter for the doubleheader Monday.   Could be him, just one extra day of rest.   Of course he is a lefty Toronto is loaded with RH bats.   So maybe they go Harvey instead.

I imagine they'd like to see him have some sustained success before throwing him back out there.  Toronto's lineup would be a test to say the least.  Will be very interesting to see who gets that second Monday start.  I think you might be right with Harvey.  

Edited by emmett16

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

I would like to see Harvey vs. the Jays in the heat of the wild card race. He doesn't have a good career record against them, but it's the type of game he's had experience with and he'll do battle.

• Upvote 1

So wait... now we'll have a whole other rotation to throw out there all of a sudden? Zimmermann, Harvey, Wells, Rodriguez, Hall... Yeah I know it's not gonna happen like that. Still, it's kind of cool to know there's all these reinforcements all of a sudden, if and when needed...