Statement from John Angelos

Aglets

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You would hope but Brandon Scott has essentially given the middle finger to the biz owners in Fells and a big reason HarborPlace is so bad is because of this issue.  

Not trying to be political but it’s just factual that the people in power in the city are either corrupt, are allowing this stuff and turning a blind eye or just don’t care…and usually, it’s a combo of all of those things. 

You need people in power in the city who want the revitalization but also understand that you must attack crime, be harsh and get the streets cleaned up.  But I doubt that ever happens, so I’m skeptical about this project from a taxpayers POV.

Political figures who repeatedly make peoples' lives considerably worse over and over and over again... eventually seal their own fate.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

Political figures who repeatedly make peoples' lives considerably worse over and over and over again... eventually seal their own fate.

The problem is, they get replaced by people who do the same thing.  It’s a vicious cycle in the city. (Well most cities)

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Exception proves the rule.

Just saying that even in this day and age it can happen.

Of course this isn't even building a stadium, it's adding additional revenue streams to an existing stadium.

It's basically a bribe to get them to sign a lease extension.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The problem is, they get replaced by people who do the same thing.  It’s a vicious cycle in the city. (Well most cities)

The limousine set has run us into a ditch at every level... and none of them are blameless. No matter which letter they have on their team jersey.

But I remain hopeful. People are waking up.

Cue Bob Dylan...  Well the times... they are a'change-in...

41 minutes ago, owknows said:

The limousine set has run us into a ditch at every level... and none of them are blameless. No matter which letter they have on their team jersey.

But I remain hopeful. People are waking up.

Cue Bob Dylan...  Well the times... they are a'change-in...

Nice post.  Walking the line.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Btw, I’m all for the improvements and the idea of an “adult playground”.   I think it’s a great idea.

But I’m not sure it works in Baltimore until they clean up the city and get people in positions of power that care about crime.

As an actual city resident. My neighborhood is rather nice, the area around the ballpark is also nice, and I’d far prefer more money be spent on schools etc.

If you’re afraid to come into the stadium because there are Black kids standing on the median, really says more about you then it does the city.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

As an actual city resident. My neighborhood is rather nice, the area around the ballpark is also nice, and I’d far prefer more money be spent on schools etc.

If you’re afraid to come into the stadium because there are Black kids standing on the median, really says more about you then it does the city.

God bless you for writing this. 

5 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I also live in the city But as for schools,not sure where this money goes but have an idea. Might be fifth now.

Baltimore City Public Schools continue to rank among the highest spenders in the U.S. on a per-student basis, placing third among the 100 biggest school systems during fiscal year 2017.

Baktimore  Buisness Journal.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I also live in the city But as for schools,not sure where this money goes but have an idea. Might be fifth now.

Baltimore City Public Schools continue to rank among the highest spenders in the U.S. on a per-student basis, placing third among the 100 biggest school systems during fiscal year 2017.

Baktimore  Buisness Journal.

Actually in 2019 (sorry can’t access the actual census data on my phone) Baltimore city was third highest in the state. Wicomico was the highest. Why? Because wicomico, as a rural county, has incredibly high per pupil transportation costs. This is the issue with looking at per pupil spending, it wraps in lots of money that has little to do with staffing, education materials etc, and is a big reason a lot of rural districts are also underfunded. Anyways, if you really want to talk education funding, feel free to send me a message. 

Really liked the article/announcement.  Yes, it’s a PR piece, but I feel good anytime we hear from John Angelos.  When things are quiet, I lose faith in the Angelos’ commitment to building a winning team (year in and year out).  I feel like a goal was set, we’ve hit some of the milestones, we have some to go, but we’re continuing to invest.  I like it and am encouraged.