Felix Bautista 2022

Just Regular

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Felix for Rookie of the Year!!

I think watching the celebration live Felix tried to pick Santander up like Chris Davis did a walkoff hitter (Brian Roberts?) that one time, but it didn't quite take.

I was thinking of this today in a non hyperbolic way! He may have inherited the closers job too late in the season, but if he keeps his elite ratios and racks up maybe 7-10 more saves - does he get a shout over Julio, Pena, Kwan, Witt, and Adley?

1 hour ago, nvpacchi said:

I was thinking of this today in a non hyperbolic way! He may have inherited the closers job too late in the season, but if he keeps his elite ratios and racks up maybe 7-10 more saves - does he get a shout over Julio, Pena, Kwan, Witt, and Adley?

The media voting for Felix over Adley to conserve the Orioles control of his Rutschman's 2028 would be about as great as it gets for ownership as Mr. Burns memes.

I think WAR understanding has come further, but wow has Felix been amazing!    I'd guess if you go by Win Probability Added, Felix has put up quite a pretty chunk in the last 72 hours.

The Amazing Case of Orioles CP Felix Bautista. Blow the Whistle. (birdswatcher.com)

Diving deeper into the stats, his fastball has topped out at 101mph this season and has 8.4 inches of vertical drop, the league average is 1.3, and horizontal movement of 7.3 inch break, the league average is 1.4.. The progress continues as his 39.0 inches of vertical movement where the league average is 3.9, and 5.1 of horizontal movement as compared to the league average of .1.

His splitter has baffled batters as opponents have only hit .069 against him and have struck out 46 times on this pitch. Bautista has 76 strikeouts on the season.

In April, Bautista posted a 3.24 ERA, and by the end of May, after Adley Rutschman’s debut, he posted a 1.54 in May, 0.00 in June, 2.03 in July, and 1.46 to date in August. Thus, proving the compounding effect of Adley Rutschman behind the plate.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

So is the general consensus is that he’s going to be better than Benitez? 

I think without a doubt he will be better than Benítez was with the Orioles, but Benítez was much younger when he arrived on the scene. Bautista seems to have a very good head on his shoulders and doesn't get too caught up in the moment like Benitez struggled with earlier in his career. 

Now will he last as long as Benitez did or accumulate the 17.5 WAR he did over his career, that depends on his ability to stay healthy. Benitez had a very under appreciated career in the major leagues that was marred by the beaning of Martinez in the playoffs with the Orioles.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think without a doubt he will be better than Benítez was with the Orioles, but Benítez was much younger when he arrived on the scene. Bautista seems to have a very good head on his shoulders and doesn't get too caught up in the moment like Benitez struggled with earlier in his career. 

Now will he last as long as Benitez did or accumulate the 17.5 WAR he did over his career, that depends on his ability to stay healthy. Benitez had a very under appreciated career in the major leagues that was marred by the beaning of Martinez in the playoffs with the Orioles.

That wasn't in the playoffs, unfortunately. We had a losing record that year.

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Aside from the saves, is Bautista’s season comparable to some of Britton’s best with the O’s?

Nah, I thought Britton should have won the Cy Young in 2016 when he went 47-47 in saves with a .054 ERA. Not sure if any reliever was as perfect as he was that season.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...