The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

The Mark Teixeira Watch: A New Hope

Amidst 11 straight years of losing, the Baltimore Orioles become involved in the Mark Teixeira negotiations. Can they bring a new hope to Baltimore?

The Mark Teixeira Watch Part II: The Empire Strikes Back

Just when it appears that the Red Sox and Orioles are the final two teams in the hunt for Mark Teixeira, the evil empire New York Yankees enter their name into the sweepstakes.

The Mark Teixeira Watch Part III: The Return of the Orioles

In a shocking end to the Mark Teixeira Trilogy, the Baltimore Orioles return to prominance after signing Teixeira and win the 2009 World Series!

Me likes! :D

May the Force be with you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something I've been thinking about..

We all talk about how the national media will be shocked if the Orioles pull this deal off, and we also talk about how Red Sox nation will be shocked as well, but what about the majority of the Orioles fan base? I'm willing to guess that most Oriole fans don't avidly read the OH, and just by reading the news reports, most people must think we have no shot at Tex right now! How much better will it be when our own fan base is shocked too?! I feel like this (hopeful) signing (especially the way it is happening) is going to excite the majority of the fanbase even more than if we knew were the front runners for Tex! Here's to hoping it turns out well! :D

We all talk about how the national media will be shocked if the Orioles pull this deal off, and we also talk about how Red Sox nation will be shocked as well, but what about the majority of the Orioles fan base? I'm willing to guess that most Oriole fans don't avidly read the OH, and just by reading the news reports, most people must think we have no shot at Tex right now! How much better will it be when our own fan base is shocked too?! I feel like this (hopeful) signing (especially the way it is happening) is going to excite the majority of the fanbase even more than if we knew were the front runners for Tex! Here's to hoping it turns out well! :D

I think the flipside is if something goes wrong and the duct-tapped masses here (myself included) get the news, what happens next? Now that's six more weeks of winter. And maybe a few more losing seasons.

You've got a really good point here. Only the most hardcore fans out here have any idea of the FA market, let alone how the Birds fit into it.

I think the flipside is if something goes wrong and the duct-tapped masses here (myself included) get the news, what happens next? Now that's six more weeks of winter. And maybe a few more losing seasons.

First of all, let me say that, thankfully, I've never been tapped by a duct...but, I'll be fine with whatever way this Tex thing works out...I do appreciate your concern though. ;)

Michael Silverman says Boston's eventual offer to Mark Teixeira will easily be a record for this ownership group. He guesses eight years in the $145-175MM range, noting that the Red Sox do not like to have players signed beyond age 36.

Surely we can top that offer! If thats as high as Boston will go then Tex should be wearing a Oriole Uni next year.

First of all, let me say that, thankfully, I've never been tapped by a duct...but, I'll be fine with whatever way this Tex thing works out...I do appreciate your concern though. ;)

Meh. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

I am bracing myself for Boston to offer something ridiculous and spoil the whole honeymoon--in which case, I'll be at their first game here yelling "Judas!" It's a slipperly slope, fandom.

The Mark Teixeira Watch: A New Hope

Amidst 11 straight years of losing, the Baltimore Orioles become involved in the Mark Teixeira negotiations. Can they bring a new hope to Baltimore?

The Mark Teixeira Watch Part II: The Empire Strikes Back

Just when it appears that the Red Sox and Orioles are the final two teams in the hunt for Mark Teixeira, the evil empire New York Yankees enter their name into the sweepstakes.

The Mark Teixeira Watch Part III: The Return of the Orioles

In a shocking end to the Mark Teixeira Trilogy, the Baltimore Orioles return to prominance after signing Teixeira and win the 2009 World Series!

Me likes! :D

You have to go in order of the story.

Episode I The Phantom Menace - confusion abounds. Several teams prepare for war. Who will be the first to bid? How much?

Episode II Attack of the Nats - the team 30 miles to the south offers 8 - $160 million. The Orioles first offer of 7 - $150 million falls short

Episode III Revenge of the Sox - the Sox turn the possible hometown hero into a villain and dub him Darth Tex. A mournful cry is heard throughout the galaxy eminating from a law office on Charles Street.

Nooooooooooooooooo

:vader:

I think the ownership understands this might be a do or die issue as the symbolic signing of Tex to even the average O's fan is greater than I've ever seen it for any player for any team. Period.

Down at my local "Eddies" one of the managers told me, "If they sign Tex, I'll start going to games again." The ownership knows he's not the only one in the city that feels that way.

One guy doesn't make a team, and we'll tell ourselves that if we don't get him, but sometimes a symbol is more important than the truth. If we get Tex, many will believe that baseball has come back to a city once proud of its team.

Boston doesn't need Tex to sell a ticket. Baltimore needs Tex for its embittered fans to even think about buying a ticket.

We need him. We'll get him.

I think the ownership understands this might be a do or die issue as the symbolic signing of Tex to even the average O's fan is greater than I've ever seen it for any player for any team. Period.

Down at my local "Eddies" one of the managers told me, "If they sign Tex, I'll start going to games again." The ownership knows he's not the only one in the city that feels that way.

One guy doesn't make a team, and we'll tell ourselves that if we don't get him, but sometimes a symbol is more important than the truth. If we get Tex, many will believe that baseball has come back to a city once proud of its team.

Boston doesn't need Tex to sell a ticket. Baltimore needs Tex for its embittered fans to even think about buying a ticket.

We need him. We'll get him.

Great post. Thats basically what I was trying to get at yesterday when I said hes more valuable to us than to the other teams.

Archived