Donta Williams 2022

ChuckS

He's gotten my attention in the Aberdeen box scores. Fourth round college senior pick in 2021.  Doesn't actually turn 23 until 6/30 so he was young for the class  

He is at .368 .519 .474 in 27 PA in Aberdeen with a 6:4 BB/K ratio.  He had 20 BB to only 16 K's in 99 PA in Delmarva last year and got on base at a .434 clip.  Has speed and can play all three outfield positions. 

No power but seems like a high floor guy who has a good chance to be a fourth outfielder in the big leagues.  We could end up with at least three big league outfielders from last year's draft with Cowser, Rhodes, and now Williams.  Not bad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Donta Williams is out Cowsering Cowser in the elite strike zone management category right now.    It looks like he doesn't have much power which is the biggest drawback.   I agree that he's a 4th outfielder type but if he could show 15 homer type power he might become a legitmate starter type prospect.   I like to look at the walk to strikeout ratio at each level and it usually correlates to the best prospects.   

Williams has some speed and looks like a leadoff hitter to me.  Doesn't switch hit, but reminds me of Don Buford as a compact player with a little power (I'm projecting from 4 XBH in 23 ABs this season), solid average, and a lot of walks.  Right now he has a .526 BABIP, which he will not maintain, but his relatively high K rate is a function of his patience in part going deeper into counts more often.  Put him at the top of the lineup and let him grind out long PAs every night.

He's still a long way from the bigs, but I think it's reasonable to hope he could advance to Norfolk by the beginning of 2023.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I do remember seeing that Basallo went #1 overall in the winter league draft last year. So that will probably be where he ends up. Heck, that’s probably better competition. 
    • I don't think it's as lop-sided as you seem to.   Pre-roid it's close to a bump.  30/30 to 40/40 range in those years for Bonds.   Sure Ohtani could be using similar types of supplements result wise but the focused workouts would look different for Ohtani if he's not pitching. 
    • If you can get him on a 3-4 year deal at $20m or less, it's interesting. But here's the rub w/ Santander: yeah, he's a SH. That's great. And he generally has even splits. But he's not great defensively. He reminds me of a SH Nelson Cruz but without the batting average or OBP. I'm not so sure that ages well. I'd extend the QO and pursue a number of other of other options.  To me, it's better to get the draft pick and, say, sign a guy like Tyler O'Neill, Joc Pederson, or Jurickson Profar as your DH/OF type and maybe give RF to Kjerstad.
    • I'm bringing back: Offense/Defense C - Adley SS - Gunnar 3B - Westburg 2B - Holliday 1B - Mountcastle DH - Kjerstad LF - Cowser CF - Cowser/Mullins RF - ? Backup OF - ? Backup C - ? Utility - Urias Starting Pitchers SP1: Eflin SP2: Grayson SP3: Acquire somebody SP4: Kremer SP5: Suarez Relievers Closer: Felix Setup: Cano Late Relief: Webb Late Relief: Coulombe Late Relief: Perez Middle/Long Relief: Akin Reliever: ? Reliever: ? Depth SP: Povich, McDermott, Rogers RP: McDermott I'm bringing back, but not giving a spot to: Mayo Rogers Guys I'm giving a QO offer to: Burnes Santander - I really go back and forth with Santander. He's not great in the outfield. His average and OBP is a liability. But his power is prolific. Does that age well? I don't think so. I'd extend the QO and move on. I'm not bringing back: Mateo - had surgery at the end of August, could he be back in the middle of the season next year? Sure, but he's a FA after next season, and paying over $3m for a guy that might not play nor be effective isn't an adequate use of money Dominguez - I could be convinced to keep him if we're desperate Soto - was a poor acquisition not just because of the talent given up, but because he was always a situational guy with control issues O'Hearn - $8m for a guy that really shouldn't be in the field and can only hit righties is a lot of loot Santander - Give a QO, move on Eloy - Duh This means we need to acquire the following: Starting Pitcher(s) The O's can't go into next season giving Povich a spot and they definitely can not give a spot to Rogers. Rogers needs to be a deep depth arm until he showcases an increase in velocity and/or incredible promise that he can be serviceable and not a WHIP disaster who can barely go 5. Targets: Snell, Burnes, Fried, Wacha, Severino, Morton, etc.  Reliever(s) No more Phillies castoffs. No more waiver wire, dumpster diving for the entire bullpen. No more washed up vets.  Targets: David Robertson, Tommy Kahnle, Blake Treinen, Andrew Kittredge, Tanner Scott, etc. Position Player(s) Backup C (give more time to the backup if a better hitter so Adley can be fresh throughout year) Targets: Elias Diaz, Travis d'Arnaud (although I reckon the Braves pickup his option), Jacob Stallings. I guess if they're desperate they can stick with Blake Hunt (in the minors) Corner OF We could always acquire a bat first OF and then put Kjerstad in the OF. Targets: Tyler O'Neill, Jurickson Profar, Joc Pederson, etc. Backup OF Could be Mullins if they, say, call up Beavers and sign another OF, otherwise these are a dime a dozen out there. Just get somebody that can platoon since it's a heavy LHH OF right now. I'd entertain the O's calling up Beavers. 
    • I don't think Davis continued to put in the same level of effort on his fitness after he signed the huge deal.  
    • I think he easily surpasses 3/$55 million in this year's market, so it's kind of a moot point. "QO, take it or leave it" is still my final answer.
    • I would bet there are people in their mid to late 40's that don't remember the O's World Series win.  My dad wasn't a big sports guy and back then family's had one TV.  I don't remember much about sports before the O's coming up just short in 1982.  Definitely don't remember 1979 World Series even though I was 9.
  • Popular Contributors