Darell Hernaiz 2022

jabba72

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Obviously there’s no comparison between Henderson and Harnaiz.  They were in the same draft class and I consider them to be the same age. 

Still, the fact that Henderson has raced all the way to AAA shouldn’t obscure the fact that Hernaiz is still young for Hi A and is holding his own there.  About 86% of his PA (189 of 221) have come against pitchers older than he is, and it’s probably higher than that after his promotion to Hi A.  So, for him to be putting up .301/.386/.452 at Aberdeen is impressive.  Compared to last year, he’s really improved in all three categories - BA, walk rate and isolated power.  He’s definitely worth keeping an eye on. 

I listened to an interview with Shorebirds announcer Sam Jelinek, who really praised Hernaiz’s attitude and leadership skills too.   

Yeah, by all accounts he seems like a good young man. 

He's doing well and moving up the prospect list for sure!

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

We're spoiled right now by Gunnar and Jordan Westburg, but in a typical year we'd be jumping out of our chairs over a 20 year old middle infielder at high-A with Hernaiz' numbers.  

I was at the Ironbirds game Friday.  It’s just one game,  but he looked to be the best player on the field.  Started off with two hits, including a double off the left field wall that would probably have been a homer at most fields. His swing looked smooth and balanced.  He also stole a base and made a nice play at shortstop.

Edited by jdwilde1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Bump for a 3-level season.

How little attention he gets these days is for me one of the barometers of improving health overall.    In years past, he'd have been close to all we had to talk about.

A very impressive season.  Some power which might even bump up further.   He's stolen a lot of bases at a very good success rate.  His defense, as far as errors, has really improved after the promotion to Aberdeen.   He hits for average and even though he doesn't walk a ton, he will work a walk and does not strike out very much.     I think offensively, there is a lot of similarity between he and Joey Ortiz but, of course, Ortiz has a huge edge defensively.     Can't wait to see how he ends the season at Bowie and eager to get a better look at him defensively.

He has risen from the 20's early in the season in Tony's Power rankings to close to top ten material.

He really came back much stronger and looked more athletic then the previous year so whatever his offseason program was it was a good one. Saying that, he doesn't have the hands or arm to stick at SS, so he's going to have to find a home at 2B to provide defensive value or move to the outfield.

It sort of feels like Hernaiz slips under the radar because of all the IF talent we have at the upper levels.  The kid just turned 21 this month and hit .284/.341/.512 at Delmarva and then .305/.377/.456 at Aberdeen.   Phenoms like Gunnar Henderson notwithstanding, it’s impressive for Hernaiz to reach AA I. His age 20 season.   He’s had a real nice year.  

Edited by Frobby
Correct typo in Hernaiz’s BA.
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It sort of feels like Hernaiz slips under the radar because of all the IF talent we have at the upper levels.  The kid just turned 21 this month and hit .284/.341/.512 at Delmarva and then .405/.377/.456 at Aberdeen.   Phenoms like Gunnar Henderson notwithstanding, it’s impressive for Hernaiz to reach AA I. His age 20 season.   He’s had a real nice year.  

Man, I don't know if I want this kid on the team anymore if he somehow had a lower OBP than BA.  😄

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He really came back much stronger and looked more athletic then the previous year so whatever his offseason program was it was a good one. Saying that, he doesn't have the hands of arm to stick at SS, so he's going to have to find a home at 2B to provide defensive value or move to the outfield.

I certainly trust your opinion on his arm but could his hands have improved since the first half.   His numbers at Aberdeen look pretty "sure handed".   2 errors in 25 games started at SS (.977).   0 errors in 16 games started at 3B, and 2 errors in 16 GS at 2B (.968).   Those are pretty solid numbers at each position.   Obviously that tells us nothing about his range or arm but error totals usually tell us something about "hands", no?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I certainly trust your opinion on his arm but could his hands have improved since the first half.   His numbers at Aberdeen look pretty "sure handed".   2 errors in 25 games started at SS (.977).   0 errors in 16 games started at 3B, and 2 errors in 16 GS at 2B (.968).   Those are pretty solid numbers at each position.   Obviously that tells us nothing about his range or arm but error totals usually tell us something about "hands", no?

I'll admit I couldn't see him a lot because of the MilbTV hole that is the Sally League. He very well may have improved hands wise since going to High-A but he certainly did not show soft hands in Delmarva when I did see him a decent amount. 

Players certainly can improve, especially at his age, so I wouldn't say my comment is final verdict but ore of a wrapup of what I've observed so far in his career. 

I imagine he will see mostly SS time at Bowie since Ortiz moved up so I'll get more looks on him there.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Awesome for Hernaiz.  I heard reports that he was bummed to be sent back to Delmarva, sounds like instead of sulking he took it as a challenge and got the 2-level promotion.  Really cool.

That speaks volumes.  Once you get to that level it's the make-up that starts to create separation from the other players.  Would love to get some EVs from this guy, he's got strong hands and hits the ball hard.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hernaiz has had a nice year with the bat to get a two-level promotion this year to Bowie, but one thing to remember is he does not have the arm strength to be a SS at the major league level.

Yesterday's game was a good example when in the first inning, he was unable to get a speedy runner at first on a routine hopper towards the 2nd bas bag. Then later in the inning, I'll let the Bowie announcer give you the call, "Lined to short, taken on a hop by Hernaiz, deep in the grass, a rainbow toss get there." That is a pretty good assessment of Hernaiz's throwing arm.

Norby obviously is the everyday second baseman at Bowie, and one of the few infielders the Orioles have not moved around much (has played only 49 innings in LF and 2 at SS not at 2B) this year, but Hernaiz either needs to be playing 2B or LF. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2