Darell Hernaiz 2022

jabba72

I think he’s only at Delmarva because of the logjam of middle IF at Aberdeen and Bowie. In a couple of weeks it will be time to jettison the likes of Bannon and Grenier (or at least bench) and promote a lot of guys up a level.
Westburg to Norfolk could start a chain reaction that puts Hernaiz in Aberdeen.  Norby or Prieto to Bowie would open up a spot. 

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think he’s only at Delmarva because of the logjam of middle IF at Aberdeen and Bowie. In a couple of weeks it will be time to jettison the likes of Bannon and Grenier (or at least bench) and promote a lot of guys up a level.
Westburg to Norfolk could start a chain reaction that puts Hernaiz in Aberdeen.  Norby or Prieto to Bowie would open up a spot. 

Agree, I think they're waiting for either (or both) Westbrook/Ortiz to force a promotion to Norfolk. Ortiz is off to a slow start, and I'm not sure Westbrook's 353 OBP really screams force a promotion either. He does have a 905 OPS though. Also hoping that part of the cascading dominoes is Vavra to Baltimore. 

2 more homers tonight as the game is in the 6th inning while being blown out 16-3 by the opposition.   Unfortunately, while Hernaiz is emerging as an offensive prospect he made 2 more errors tonight for a total of 7 on the season.   Hopefully, we have a power hitting SS prospect coming into his own.    His .556 slugging and .924 OPS are sure to rise after tonights game.     Westburg to Norfolk, whenver it happens, should be a chain reaction of Norby or Prieto to Bowie and Hernaiz to Aberdeen.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps he should have spent some time practicing his fielding too.   Two errors tonight, 7 on the season.  

4 errors at 2B and now 3 at SS in 6 games there.   He fielded .924 at SS last year.   Not good but not uncommon at that level.

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

4 errors at 2B and now 3 at SS in 6 games there.   He fielded .924 at SS last year.   Not good but not uncommon at that level.

I wasn’t too worried about his error rate last year.  It’s too early in the season to get truly worried about a lot of early errors, but I certainly hope he settles down soon.  

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps he should have spent some time practicing his fielding too.   Two errors tonight, 7 on the season.  

Both were throwing errors  last night.  I'm no scout and it was a cold night but he seemed like he was having trouble with the throw from the hole.  The defense on the infield was very sloppy last night.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hernaiz is certainly showing he ability to hit fastballs in fastball counts a long way and that's a good thing. He's obviously gotten stronger and those flyballs last year look to be going out, even in the cool April weather.

Now to the downside, he does not have the armstrength or quickness to play at SS at the major league level and his throwing is very erratic no matter where he plays on the dirt. He struggles mightily to throw accurately on the run and even his normal throws are typically low. 

I know the Orioles like to move their guys around to lots of positions so they may want to consider giving him some looks in left field as well. Delmarva doesn't really have a true shortstop as all of the guys playing there are better suited for 2B or 3B.

Gotta like the start to the season when it comes to the power though.

• Tony-OH changed the title to Darell Hernaiz 2022
On 4/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, Tony-OH said:

Now to the downside, he does not have the armstrength or quickness to play at SS at the major league level and his throwing is very erratic no matter where he plays on the dirt. He struggles mightily to throw accurately on the run and even his normal throws are typically low. 

I know the Orioles like to move their guys around to lots of positions so they may want to consider giving him some looks in left field as well. ...

This all seriously changes my perception of Hernaiz. I thought he was a SS prospect but that seems really far fetched now. If he's just another OF prospect, the bat becomes critical.

[Edit: and while I don't know if the rumors about Correa were true, it's beginning to make more and more sense that the O's trade for a true SS.]

• 2 weeks later...