Darell Hernaiz 2022

jabba72

On 9/27/2023 at 4:33 PM, Tony-OH said:

He didn't even battle him for minor league player of the year this year. 

Either way, I have a hard time seeing that for two reasons.

1) Holliday will most likely be in AAA for most of next year unless there's a need
2) Hernaiz is not the kind of talent that comes up and battles for ROY honors.

You make some valid points. I was just musing, but I don't think such a scenario is that far fetched. Sure, Hernaiz doesn't have the talent of a Jose Canseco or Mark McGwire, but may be more comparable to Walt Weiss (with a lesser glove). But it's certainly plausible the A's could give him a chance to win a job out of Spring Training, and if he does, then we'll see how he does. He may not get a single vote for ROY, but he'll still be fun to follow and see how he does. As for Holliday, I don't expect him to make the team out of Spring Training, but I don't think that's so far fetched either. Both scenarios are unlikely, but worth musing over. At least I think so.

I said at the time of the trade that Irvin was the O's 7th best starter.   During the season he moved up to 6th passing Voth.   He pitched valuable innings in the 2nd half when the O's needed pitching depth.   

They used his last option this season so next year he is probably up all year as the O's long man/spot  starter out of the pen.   The O's got what they needed from Irvin.   It looks like a decent trade to me.

As the O's trade valuable players like Norby, Stowers and Urias we should not fear that they do well wherever they go.   We should be happy for them and realize that the O's needed room for the  players they kept.  Hopefully  they O's get  valuable  players for them in trade.

Edited by wildcard

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2023 at 9:06 AM, Tony-OH said:

I don't agree. Hernaiz would have a hard time being a top 15 prospect in our system. He put up a high average in hitter environment, but a lack of pop and a lack of arm doesn't make him a SS prospect no matter how much he "wants it."

Really early into his Oakland career, but they are using him as a utility guy at 22-years old, and his max throw velocity has only been 76.9 MPH. The lowest recorded max effort throw from a MLB SS in 2023 was Nick Ahmed at 81.4. He's been playing more 3B than SS and the lowest recorded max throw in MLB in 2023 was from Even Longoria at 77.7 with the next lowest being at 82.1 MPH.

Unfortunately, this was why he was a guy to be moved. He's a tweener guy who probably belongs at 2B but who may have a hard time sticking as a utility guy if he doesn't hit enough in a part time role.