Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

42 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

At some point the team may need decide where they want him to play next season (in Baltimore) and start giving him primary reps at that position. 

If Mateo ends up being in the long term plans they could decide it's going to be at third base.  Obviously this season needs to play out a bit longer.  

Personally, I like the idea of making him prove he can't handle SS.   You can always move him to third base down the line. 

I can see Mateo playing nearly every day as a super-utility giving a different guy off 5 or 6 days a week. I don't recall if he has played much CF but I am sure he can handle the corners. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

He turns 21 on June 29.   I would certainly hope that he is in Norfolk before that birthday.

It's a Navy town.   Lots of places to enjoy that first [legal] drink.   Better than Bowie.

I guess you've never been to the Applebee's across from the stadium. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

At some point the team may need decide where they want him to play next season (in Baltimore) and start giving him primary reps at that position. 

If Mateo ends up being in the long term plans they could decide it's going to be at third base.  Obviously this season needs to play out a bit longer.  

Personally, I like the idea of making him prove he can't handle SS.   You can always move him to third base down the line. 

Give him the Mountcastle treatment.

On 5/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, wildcard said:

I have been floating the idea that if the O's are in the wild card race in early August  Gunnar could join the O's down the stretch.  Like Manny did in 2012.

What do you think?

Or if our pitching is thin, we flip trade him for a Scott Feldman type. 

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, yark14 said:

He has nothing left to prove at AA.

As excited as I would be for this to be true, I can't get behind it yet.   It's tremendously exciting he seems to have done a Troutian thing and come back from an offseason with last year's weakness looking like a strength.   I will go here for the first time though.

2022 Baysox Gunnar 6.29.2001 - 962 OPS and 22/29 K/BB in 124 PA

2012 Baysox Machado 7.6.1992 - 789 OPS and 70/48 K/BB in 459 PA

How much for that 10-year contract?

Perhaps Gunnar's YTD numbers resemble what Machado's might have been were circumstances different and he had "something to work on"* repeating the Eastern League the next year.    This is also one of those B-Ref accounting tricks where they give 2 year seasonal age difference between the two despite 1 year, 8 days adjusted delta if you magically give Machado 10 years of youth back.

Maybe everyone in the league but Daniel Espino is scared to throw him strikes, but let's see him crush a few more from AA pitchers from anyone bold enough to try.

*2013 Machado was a 6-win player in the Show.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

A Fangraphs Longenhagen take this afternoon.    No Brooks Lee :)

Michimore Wizskins
12:05
What do you make of Gunnar Henderson's early season success and where would he rank right now for you? Where would he rank in this years draft had he gone to Auburn?

Eric A Longenhagen
12:06
I'm glad he's doing well, area of the zone in which he's making contact is still fairly narrow, lots of inner third pull-side stuff, which is fine. I feel free to change our prospect rankings as soon as I think they should change and he's 68th right now, so I think he's 68th. He'd probably go in the top 5 picks if you were lining him up against this draft class.
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I heard an interesting fact today: Gunnar Henderson hasn’t faced a pitcher younger than him the entire season.  

He’s the fourth youngest player in the Eastern League, fifth in the league in OPS, and the four guys ahead of him are ages 23, 32, 28 and 25.   Henderson is 21 (baseball age; actually still 20 until June 29).   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

One other thing worth mentioning is that Henderson’s fielding percentage is .968 at 3B, .958 at SS in the early going.  Still too small a sample to mean much, but both those figures are way better than last year.  Anecdotally, I’ve heard that Henderson has looked very smooth in the field.  

On 5/13/2022 at 8:35 AM, Just Regular said:

As excited as I would be for this to be true, I can't get behind it yet.   It's tremendously exciting he seems to have done a Troutian thing and come back from an offseason with last year's weakness looking like a strength.   I will go here for the first time though.

2022 Baysox Gunnar 6.29.2001 - 962 OPS and 22/29 K/BB in 124 PA

2012 Baysox Machado 7.6.1992 - 789 OPS and 70/48 K/BB in 459 PA

How much for that 10-year contract?

Perhaps Gunnar's YTD numbers resemble what Machado's might have been were circumstances different and he had "something to work on"* repeating the Eastern League the next year.    This is also one of those B-Ref accounting tricks where they give 2 year seasonal age difference between the two despite 1 year, 8 days adjusted delta if you magically give Machado 10 years of youth back.

Maybe everyone in the league but Daniel Espino is scared to throw him strikes, but let's see him crush a few more from AA pitchers from anyone bold enough to try.

*2013 Machado was a 6-win player in the Show.

He’s about at the point PA wise where he got promoted early last year from Delmarva to Aberdeen. We also have Cesar Prieto that doesn’t belong in Aberdeen. I don’t think anyone will force Elias’ hand with Gunnar, but this is looking like these promotions make sense.