Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

29 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Was scheduled to attend Auburn. We could’ve used him earlier this week, but I’m mostly thrilled he’s about to be an Oriole. 

Can you imagine what kind of numbers he’d be putting up in college?   Of course, his development would have been different, etc.

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Can you imagine what kind of numbers he’d be putting up in college?   Of course, his development would have been different, etc.

Yeah I always wonder about guys who go pro after HS and excel. It’s hard to imagine he’d be as successful in college, but sometimes the talent just shines through anywhere. 

Gunnar is a good example of why some teams draft models (Cleveland for one) really lean towards players who are young for their grade. In Gunnar's case he was the same draft year as Bobby Witt Jr, but Witt is a full year older then him. So in terms of age/skill/numbers Gunnar's senior season should be compared to Witt's junior season etc. My guess is if Gunnar had returned to high school for an extra year, he'd also have gone higher. 

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Instead he was an overslot pick/signee.  $1.7m slot bs $2.3m signing bonus.

He's not an argument for an overslot strategy.

AR was the consensus BPA and Gunnar wasn't someone who dropped a significant degree due to signing concerns.

He was literally one pick out of the first round.

Every team should have the ability to sign a Gunnar.

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Gunnar is a good example of why some teams draft models (Cleveland for one) really lean towards players who are young for their grade. In Gunnar's case he was the same draft year as Bobby Witt Jr, but Witt is a full year older then him. So in terms of age/skill/numbers Gunnar's senior season should be compared to Witt's junior season etc. My guess is if Gunnar had returned to high school for an extra year, he'd also have gone higher. 

Of course, Billy Rowell was super young for his draft class.   Fat lot of good that did us!

Manny turned out okay though…

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

AR was the consensus BPA and Gunnar wasn't someone who dropped a significant degree due to signing concerns.

I didn’t see anyone arguing that Gunnar was an example of going underslot on the first pick to get overslot players later.  You are reading too much into what btdart20 wrote.  He just said he was an overslot signing, which of course, he was.    I’d say he’s a good argument for, if you see a player who has slipped to the second round who you feel was a first round talent, grab him even if you have to pay him a little extra.   

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Same argument we've had about Baumler and Mayo.   We signed those guys to comp round or 2nd round money.   Any team could have signed them in the 2nd round if they thought they were that good.    Apparently Gunnar had a number and any team could have drafted him wherever the 2.3M slot was and signed him.    I don't think anyone said he was an argument for the overslot strategy.   But he was an overslot where they took him.