MLB Network

Orioles West

I was pleasantly suprised yesterday when doing some channel surfing in the upper regions of my local cable provider and finding the MLB Channel...this considering the local cable rep telling me they had no idea if the provider would run the channel and if they did there would be plenty of notice if they did...

Anyway...haven't watched much of it but it so far seems to be what the doctor ordered to solve my perenial dilema of what to do inbetween football and the begining of regular season baseball on TV...

I can't say I have seen anything so far that I didn't expect and most of the news programs I have observed didn't appear to be too biased to one team or another (likely it will be the same as ESPN and gravitate to more emphasis on teams in the major market areas)...

Funny, when I first turned it on I caught their Hot Stove show and they were just starting to talk about the Orioles...maybe a good omen...*S*

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they've done a pretty good job so far. Last night they did a nice recap of the 2001 playoffs (NYY/ARI after 9/11). What a great series that was.

They haven't seemed to lean towards any one team like NYY or BOS and have done a good job covering all the teams and moves made around the majors.

I think they've done a pretty good job so far. Last night they did a nice recap of the 2001 playoffs (NYY/ARI after 9/11). What a great series that was.

They haven't seemed to lean towards any one team like NYY or BOS and have done a good job covering all the teams and moves made around the majors.

I am not surprised at all. MLB has an interest in promoting the sport as a whole and not just the major market teams.

So we get ESPN looking polish, but better MLB content then ESPN can dare to do.

Was that Nine Innings From Ground Zero? If so, it was a rebroadcast of an HBO documentary.

Still great though.

IIRC, most was focused on the Yankees and their visiting Ground Zero, but they didn't overlook Bobby Valentine and the Mets working 20+ hour shifts as Shea Stadium was turned into a relief center.

Was that Nine Innings From Ground Zero? If so, it was a rebroadcast of an HBO documentary.

Still great though.

IIRC, most was focused on the Yankees and their visiting Ground Zero, but they didn't overlook Bobby Valentine and the Mets working 20+ hour shifts as Shea Stadium was turned into a relief center.

Nah it was the show Baseball Seasons and last night it covered '01 (including Tony and Cal's last year).

I like the channel so far. They do a much better job than ESPN at giving coverage to all teams. Good variety of programming also, even though I could probably do without all the replays of World Series games from the past 5 years. It would be nice if more pre-1990 games were mixed in.

There are few O's-related things on tomorrow night. The "Cathedrals of the Game" episode on Camden Yards is on at 9:30 tomorrow night. Not sure if this is a repeat, but I haven't seen it on yet. Also, the two "Prime 9" episodes are 'Best Shortstops of All time' and 'Unbreakable Records'. Cal will probably make an appearance on both lists.

Haha. Thanks.

I've been watching the channel a lot and I'm impressed so far. Prime 9 is an interesting show. I like the recaps from older games (1950s). I haven't watched Hot Stove too much. I just think it's a little late for Hot Stove. Most of the big questions have been answered. The Home Run Derby replay was interesting. Never really thought that they would air that.

It was nice to see Cal in back-to-back Prime 9 shows -Top shortstops of course and records that are a lock to never be broken. Bill Ripken seems to get asked a lot about his bro on these.

-Don

Did anyone else catch the "2008 AL Plays of the Year" show?

I only caught the 9 best plays by a shortstop and it looked to me like the Orioles were involved in five out of the nine.

One of them was even when the Orioles were playing defense!

I caught it. I missed the outfielders, but saw everything else.

The only play that I saw that involved any Oriole being one of the best plays was a diving catch by Luis Hernandez! So you mean to tell me that out of all 9 positions, the SHORTSTOP was the only representative the Orioles had the entire show?! Ironic.

Like I said I missed outfield part, so maybe Kakes got in there. But I was certain we'd at least see Brob in the 2nd basemen category. Oh yeah, Ramon Hernandez was on 3 or 4 plays being thrown out; thought that was pretty amusing.

Archived