2022 Ongoing Lineup Thread

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, dzorange said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Aguilar get a lot of ABs on the road. O's need some punch in their lineup, it's probably not worth trotting him out there at Camden too often.

I expect Stowers to get back in the lineup more regularly on this homestand. I'm not surprised that he's not out there tonight, but I am surprised that Vavra is.

Why would you not be surprised to see Aguilar in there over Stowers vs a RHP? Stowers is at least as likely as Aguilar is to add punch to the lineup.

• Upvote 1

With Odor entrenched at 2B, I'm just glad when Vavra or Stowers can get into a game.  I'm enjoying every game this year and still looking forward to seeing Westburg, Vavra, Urias, Mateo, and even Ortiz competing for jobs in spring training next year.

31 minutes ago, deward said:

Why would you not be surprised to see Aguilar in there over Stowers vs a RHP? Stowers is at least as likely as Aguilar is to add punch to the lineup.

Because Stowers offers more value at Camden. It's also clear that Stowers is not going to be an every day player for the rest of this season.

I also think it's a stretch to say that Stowers, who has 1 HR in 34 PAs in his career is at least as likely to add punch as Aguilar, who has 108 HRs in 2500 career PAs.

I'd rather have Stowers out there, mostly because it takes Santander off the field defensively and I want to see what he can do, but there's a reason the O's signed Aguilar and he's going to get ABs.

Edited by dzorange
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Because Stowers offers more value at Camden. It's also clear that Stowers is not going to be an every day player for the rest of this season.

I also think it's a stretch to say that Stowers, who has 1 HR in 34 PAs in his career is at least as likely to add punch as Aguilar, who has 108 HRs in 2500 career PAs.

I'd rather have Stowers out there, mostly because it takes Santander off the field defensively and I want to see what he can do, but there's a reason the O's signed Aguilar and he's going to get ABs.

Based on this season, it's not a stretch at all. Aguilar has been bad, and he's a bad-body guy on the wrong side of 30. Maybe he picks it up again, maybe he's on the downslope. Stowers is 34 PA into his career, I'm pretty sure he's likely to improve. I'd much rather see Stowers in there against any RHP and let Aguilar primarily serve as PH.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Aguilar is our 2022 Delmon Young. He’s not the pure hitter Delmon was, but he’s a seasoned vet that’s been in big moments. .800 Career OPS vs LHP. Plus he gives Mountcastle a mental break. Sometimes guys just need to get away from the Marlins. 

Or maybe our 2012 Wilson Betemit?

8 hours ago, MijiT88 said:

I cant believe Odor still makes the lineup today. I thought we would get a day or two without him now but somehow he is stuck on 2b forever

I'm more and more convinced of the defensive advantage Odor offers. He made the play for the final out last night against Cleveland look easy, but it wasn't. Offensively, he seems to be adjusting his swing to settle for more singles than going all-out for homers all the time.

Meanwhile, Vavra has looked awful while going 1 for 21 with 10 Ks and just 1 BB after a good game on Aug. 11th and so is an improvement neither in the field or at the plate. Now is not the time to experiment further. The dogfight has begun.

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Aguilar is our 2022 Delmon Young. He’s not the pure hitter Delmon was, but he’s a seasoned vet that’s been in big moments. .800 Career OPS vs LHP. Plus he gives Mountcastle a mental break. Sometimes guys just need to get away from the Marlins. 

Last night he looked more like our 2013 Mike Morse, who was quite a disappointment, although he did move on to a decent year next season with the Giants.

Edited by LA2
  • Haha 1