2022 Ongoing Lineup Thread

OsFanSinceThe80s

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Odor, and I think Hyde plays him today, but I’d sure like Urias at 2B, with Santander at DH, and Stowers in RF. 

Having Odor in the lineup hurts our OF defense because it means Urias is the DH, and that pushes Santander out to RF. Which isn’t a good thing. 

Is the consensus that Stowers is a better bat than Odor and a better glove than Santander? I don't know--just asking.

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Odor, and I think Hyde plays him today, but I’d sure like Urias at 2B, with Santander at DH, and Stowers in RF. 

Having Odor in the lineup hurts our OF defense because it means Urias is the DH, and that pushes Santander out to RF. Which isn’t a good thing. 

Problem is, Urias is not nearly as good at 2B as he is at 3B. Fangraphs has '22 Odor slightly better than '21 Urias, bbref has '21 Urias slightly better but nowhere near as good as '22 Urias. I think our best lineup with plus defense at every position might be Gunnar 2B-Urias 3B-Stowers DH, but that moves Gunnar off what might be his long term position. I still think we see this lineup sometimes, perhaps against RHP that don't have reverse splits (i.e. not McKenzie and Bieber). 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You might be overrating Stowers' defense.  

I've felt the last month or so Odor's role is generally safe until the team has a losing week, and the winning weeks just keep stacking.

This week, I feel Gunnar is Pipping Stowers-Vavra, not Odor.     

I think trying Urias at cleanup maybe dovetails with giving him more DH time for Gunnar's anticipated better glove.

Maybe v. LHP we get 2B Urias and DH Aguilar, making Odor-Aguilar the essential platoon.

Stowers is not as big a fish as Gunnar, and I don't think he will near full time run in early September.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Urias is 2nd on the team in dWar at 1.5 behind Mateo's 1.6. Adley is 3rd with 1.1. Mullins is the only other significant mar at .8.  Urias needs to be in the field every night, whether at 3B or 2B.

Was surprised to see Mountcastle at -.5. My eyes tell me he's been playing gold glove defense at 1B, especially with picks.

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mateo and Hays to the bench. Odor still in the lineup. Don't love the lineup but we have an interesting mix of R/L hitters to bring off the bench whenever needed. Kinda surprised to see Aguilar in there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Aguilar get a lot of ABs on the road. O's need some punch in their lineup, it's probably not worth trotting him out there at Camden too often.

I expect Stowers to get back in the lineup more regularly on this homestand. I'm not surprised that he's not out there tonight, but I am surprised that Vavra is.

• Upvote 1