The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

Sure you can. Wanna guess who was more valuable in terms of win shares in 2008?

Burnett 14.2

Teixeira 14.1

Like I said, Tex is a surer bet, that's why he's getting a longer/more expensive contract.

Sorry, save for possibly the playoffs, I don't see a pitcher being MORE valuable than an All-Star, Gold Glove, power switch-hitting 1B.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, but is the difference (in overall value, nothing to do with actual salaries obviously) between Tex and Smoak $120 million greater than the difference between Burnett and Matusz?

I don't think so. Tex is a surer bet but Burnett plays the most premium position on the field.

I just realized this was incredibly flawed due to years on the contracts, but I still think the original poster has a good point.

Looking back on this whole Tex thing, the Orioles have put themselves in this position interestingly enough by the refusal to find a 1B solution since Palmeiro left the first time.

Every time they have had the chance they have whiffed, including most recently when they could have had the next Teixeira in Justin Smoak. Instead they chose to select Brian Matusz.

Now Matusz is going to be good, but considering the Orioles could have signed AJ Burnett for 80 million and have drafted Smoak, is that better than paying 200+ million for Tex and having Brian Matusz?

It really looks more and more like a bad decision to pass on Smoak in the draft, and that's where we are today, praying Tex will let us pay him 200+ million dollars when we could have filled those two spots for 80 plus what ever we would have paid Smoak.

These are valid points. However, I really think it comes down to an organizational philosophy. Macphail believes in:

A. Taking the best player available

B. Developing pitching from within

C. Buying position players

Based on the horrendous history of big money contracts given to pitchers, this philosophy makes sense.

Sorry, save for the possibly the playoffs, I don't see a pitcher being MORE valuable than an All-Star, Gold Glove, power switch-hitting 1B.

Who was more valuable for the Braves in the mid 90's, Greg Maddux or Fred McGriff?

Edit: I realize McGriff wasn't a gold glover or switch hitter (and AJ Burnett is no Maddux), but I'd rather have Peavy, Webb, or Hamels than Tex.

My question would be though wold you rather have Tex (200 M) and Matsuz or Smoak, Burnett (85M), and 115M worth of pitching to go along with it?

Actually, even if you prorate the Tex deal to the length of the Burnett deal there is still 40M left over that could easily be a Sheets (30M over 2 years) and an established middle reliever.

That being said, I have no problem with the Matsuz pick, especially if the team is willing to continue to build both through FA and from within.

There were signs in recent days that the Red Sox, Angels and Nationals were the three highest bidders. One source said he believed that Boston was in for close to $180 million over eight years and the Angels in for about the same. The Nats may be as high, or even higher than that. Some suggest they have either hit the $200 million mark, or gotten very close. Or that someone else has.

But who can be sure? And who knows whether final bids are in?

This is from the Heyman article.

First are we the someone else?

If not we should at least be around the 180 that Anaheim and Boston supposedly are in for.

Right, but is the difference (in overall value, nothing to do with actual salaries obviously) between Tex and Smoak $120 million greater than the difference between Burnett and Matusz?

I don't think so. Tex is a surer bet but Burnett plays the most premium position on the field.

I can't comment on Matusz and Smoak, but the Win Share difference between Burnett (14 Total) & Tex (30 Total) is massive.

These are valid points. However, I really think it comes down to an organizational philosophy. Macphail believes in:

A. Taking the best player available

B. Developing pitching from within

C. Buying position players

Based on the horrendous history of big money contracts given to pitchers, this philosophy makes sense.

But we are about to give big money or try to give big money to a position we could have filled for far less. The decision to draft pitching over hitting seems flawed in this case, seeing as we could have drafted hitting and paid pitching less than half what we are going to pay for hitting to produce possibly the same result. If Matusz has Burnett's career, he'll be lucky.

Archived