Teixeira Watch: Part VIII- Decisions, Decisions

Greg Pappas

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the Sox seem to be out of it, it wouldn't surprise me much if we fold pretty soon. While it would be embarassing for PA to lose Tex to the Nats, it would have been downright shameful to lose him to the Red Sox, the pink hat nation. Now that our only competition are a couple of teams that we won't play too regularly throughout the course of a season, I think PA will have an easier time letting him go.

Unfortunately I have been too quick to get excited at just the slightest hint of "good news" and too quick to get down about "bad" news... I feel as if we don't get Tex at this late stage of the game, and let's be real, this is ALL a game to Boras, I am going to be REALLY down about it for a while..

Me too....:(

As does the rest of the national media...

There is good reason to think this...This isn't just the media hype machine...This is that Boston is arguably the best organization in the sport...they are WS contenders every year now and are willing to pay a huge amount of money, perhaps more than anyone else.

There is good reason to think they are still in it.

It is extremely disheartening that BB isn't getting good news.

At this point, I doubt he is coming here.

I think the Angels have gone up in their offer, which is surprising to me. If they are saying they are still in it, its because they have moved off of the 8/160 offer and put a lot more on the table.

If Henry is right, there are multiple wow offers out there...One appears to be from DC...The other is either Baltimore or Anaheim...i am betting Anaheim.

I have to agree with you here, I don't think we had or intend to have a "wow" offer on the table. Unbelievable as it is, Angelos is probably willing to cede to the Nationals because apparently they want him more than us. I just hope we made a serious effort and not a token one to appease us.

I never said "above all else."

It takes two to tango. It's not fair to act like he should just have come here open arms and take what we give him...

But, if the reports are all true, Boston and DC have offered him substantial dollars--potentially more. I'm sure we are in the same range. It's pretty clear, that part of his choice was coming back home.

Well...if he did give us the chance to match the best offers, then I may retract a bit. But, again, he still held out for the most money. If his biggest goal was to be playing for the Orioles, he could have accepted the 7/150 offer.

I think the only factor in our favor is that we may get the "last chance" to sign him. While I can certainly not begrudge him in getting every last nickel that he can, if he TRULY just wanted to be an Oriole, this negotiation would be done. He could have had Boras make the calls, get an idea of his worth to other teams, and told the Orioles that he wants what Team X is offering, and this would be done.

Well, I guess his treatment will depend on how he performs should he sign with the O's.

As it should. But frankly, if I were Mark Teixeira I would be inclined against signing with the Orioles because of all the passion O's fans have for him. If he slumps or gets injured and has a slow recovery, the passion for him is likely to turn against him with a much greater vengeance than it would if he signed with a team which just regarded him as another player and didn't pay him more than twice as much as anyone else on their team.

At this point, I doubt he is coming here.

I think the Angels have gone up in their offer, which is surprising to me. If they are saying they are still in it, its because they have moved off of the 8/160 offer and put a lot more on the table.

If Henry is right, there are multiple wow offers out there...One appears to be from DC...The other is either Baltimore or Anaheim...i am betting Anaheim.

Yes if thats true then the Angels, he will have to suck it up and play on the West Coast, at least he has a shot to win, even though I don't think the Angels will do a thing in the post season if they make it again.

Archived