Are we buyers or sellers?

btdart20

2022 and/or beyond?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Are we buyers or sellers?

• Buyers - willing to trade top 10 MiLB talent to be more competitive in 2022
    • Buyers - willing to trade non-top 10 MiLB talent
    • Buyers - willing to trade from MLB depth only
    • Hold
    • Sellers - Only trading from MLB depth
    • Sellers - Only trading select players (i.e. team control/arbitration/talent window)
    • Sellers - willing to trade anyone on the MLB roster for prospects

Stowers plays some CF. Just because he strikes out and hits HRs, doesn’t mean he’s Jack Cust in the field. If we’re talking about replacements then is see this,

Santander - Stowers

Mancini - Rotational DH. AR when not catching. Neustrom and Diaz could get some ABs. 

Lopez and Tate - Baumann, Kremer, and Bradish. 

Lyles - GR and Hall

Elias can shed some payroll, plus restock the system with players that won’t take up 26 man/40 man roster spots. It’s just where we are right now. A lot can change in two months. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stowers plays some CF. Just because he strikes out and hits HRs, doesn’t mean he’s Jack Cust in the field. If we’re talking about replacements then is see this,

Santander - Stowers

Mancini - Rotational DH. AR when not catching. Neustrom and Diaz could get some ABs. 

Lopez and Tate - Baumann, Kremer, and Bradish. 

Lyles - GR and Hall

Elias can shed some payroll, plus restock the system with players that won’t take up 26 man/40 man roster spots. It’s just where we are right now. A lot can change in two months. 

So moving Bradish out of starting?

Orioles having trouble finding starters now. I know Hall and GR. But they are also just prospects.Just less then a month ago some people where putting Bradish  in the starting rotation as a chip for years to come.

Just now, Going Underground said:

So moving Bradish out of starting?

Orioles having trouble finding starters now. I know Hall and GR. But they are also just prospects.Just less then a month ago some people where putting Bradish  in the starting rotation as a chip for years to come.

Less than a month ago some people were reacting to a very small sample size.

30 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Who are you building a competitive team with in 2024?

I mean, I would start signing free agents starting in 2023 if it were up to me, but it’s not. 2024 will have Rutschman, Rodriguez, and Hall with some experience, Mountcastle will be a team veteran by then in context to others, and some of the further down prospects like Henderson, Cowser, Westburg etc will hopefully be ready to come up by then. Add in one or two decent free agents and I don’t see why 2024 couldn’t be a really solid place to start expecting an actual good team. 

Stowers is about as ready as a prospect can be. He’s got flaws, but that doesn’t mean he needs more time in the minors. Direct replacement for Manny. 

Diaz is out of options next year, so if he ever gets healthy we should give him a look. I’d like to see Neustrom get a look too. 

I think the goal of this deadline should be to trade away Santander, Mancini, Lyles, Lopez, Tate, and Odor, with the hopes of building our pitching depth and opening spots to give guys in AAA a chance to sink or swim. 

I strongly believe we should be buyers, albeit smaller moves. It would send a great message to the team, players & fans. Trade a prospect or two Elias feels won’t turn the corner. Some rentals at the deadline won’t cost much as many of you know. You can also be a seller for the right deal but I am not trading Santander when his value is down, strongly believe in him. Again, if you want to win, you got to keep good players. No clue why Mountcastle is being discussed to trade. I think this org has been miserable for so long all fans want to do is sell high on guys and have given up on winning, depressing. 

3 hours ago, jamesenoch said:

This guy suggests the following :

Cowser, Hall, Henderson, Mayo, Mullins, and Westburg for Corbin, Soto, and $25m.

Of course there's no way Elias is going to part with any of those prospects now. And if Elias had a small stroke, a complete nervous breakdown, or similar and somehow made the trade, then I think I would stop being an Orioles fan. That would be more stupidity than I can take and I have managed to survive a lot of stupidity to date with my fandom intact. 

9 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I strongly believe we should be buyers, albeit smaller moves. It would send a great message to the team, players & fans. Trade a prospect or two Elias feels won’t turn the corner. Some rentals at the deadline won’t cost much as many of you know. You can also be a seller for the right deal but I am not trading Santander when his value is down, strongly believe in him. Again, if you want to win, you got to keep good players. No clue why Mountcastle is being discussed to trade. I think this org has been miserable for so long all fans want to do is sell high on guys and have given up on winning, depressing. 

They are not going to be real buyers. Elias is going to trade away a couple of players, probably fewer than some posters suggest, and get some ok and probably really young prospects back. I was going to say you shouldn't get worked up about it and set yourself up for disappointment, but I'm pretty sure that advice will fall on deaf ears ;)

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

They are not going to be real buyers. Elias is going to trade away a couple of players, probably fewer than some posters suggest, and get some ok and probably really young prospects back. I was going to say you shouldn't get worked up about it and set yourself up for disappointment, but I'm pretty sure that advice will fall on deaf ears ;)

Read my post. First line. Not saying they should be real buyers but a small piece or two would be a good message (and can still sell a couple, but really what will you get for Odor, lol). 

46 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stowers is about as ready as a prospect can be. He’s got flaws, but that doesn’t mean he needs more time in the minors. Direct replacement for Manny. 

Diaz is out of options next year, so if he ever gets healthy we should give him a look. I’d like to see Neustrom get a look too. 

I think the goal of this deadline should be to trade away Santander, Mancini, Lyles, Lopez, Tate, and Odor, with the hopes of building our pitching depth and opening spots to give guys in AAA a chance to sink or swim. 

The 2018 firesale and the meager return make me against tearing the team down. So I'd like to see them stay the course. If they get a great offer for Mancini, consider it. Same for every player, but im not selling just to kick the rebuild another few years down the road.

19 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The 2018 firesale and the meager return make me against tearing the team down. So I'd like to see them stay the course. If they get a great offer for Mancini, consider it. Same for every player, but im not selling just to kick the rebuild another few years down the road.

Part of the issue was the Orioles waited way too long to trade Machado. Teams don’t trade away their top prospect anymore for half a season of an all star caliber player.

And it didn’t help that there was ambiguity at the time on who was really making the decisions in the front office. 

A lot of you have Rutschman DHing on days he is not catching.  What if, heaven forbid, he turns out to be not a very good hitter? He just becomes a regular starting catcher that suits on the bench as a backup on days he is rested? At that point, you need a more permanent DH with a bat.