Update: the good, the so-so, the not-so-good, the ugly

DocJJ

The good:

Gunnar Henderson: .298 7 30 .996.  Best prospect in entire system. Only 20 yo at Double A, more BB's than K's.  

Cesar Prieto: .333 7 20 OPS .935.   The bat is for real.  Hopefully keeps up power numbers at Double A.

Hudson Haskin .273 7 23 .859.   Started off red hot and cooled off considerably, but overall a good year so far.

Darell Hernaiz  .283 6 29 .840. 

The So-so:

Kyle Stowers .247 10 25 .868.  Streaky kind of all or nothing hitter.  Good power numbers.  Good argue he should be in "good category" but low batting avg.

Jordan Westburg .247 8 29 .815.   Up and down kind of season so far.

The not so good:

Colton Cowser .245 2 13 .776.  This is NOT what you want to see out of your #1 pick in A ball...  :(

Conor Norby .252 5 13 .791.  Not terrible, but also not what I expected from a polished college bat in A ball....

Coby Mayo .229 10 33 .785.  Decent power numbers, needs better contact.

The ugly:

Joey Ortiz .208 3 23 .647.  Bat has not developed as hoped.  Keith Law hailed him as a top prospect.

Creed Willems .165 1 7 .490.  Overslot guy definitely seems overmatched in low A ball, but coming on of late, fingers crossed....

I don't think it's a coincidence that your "not so good" list are all Aberdeen hitters.  Seems to be an increasingly pitchers atmosphere there.  Wouldn't be surprised if all 3 those guys were promoted and their numbers in Bowie were better than Aberdeen.

I would just say, I'm disappointed in Ortiz year to date but saying his bat hasn't developed as hoped is talking about a player in AA with 475 total career minor league AB's.  

You say Creed Willems is overmatched but seems to be coming on.  Still 18 years old for a few more days. Terrible start.  Not looking overmatched lately. 

So so grades on Westburg and Stowers are totally based on batting average.  Both look like part of the next core to me.  I'm happy where both are at right now.

Interesting that you have an "ugly" category but Gunnar Henderson is simply "good" so far.

How does it work in the lower leagues (A+ and A ball) when a player is slow to develop?  Does the team just cut them? Or do they realize themselves that it is time to hang it up when their peers get promoted to the next level and they are left behind?  Is there a specific goal/ timeline presented to the players that they work toward? 

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that your "not so good" list are all Aberdeen hitters.  Seems to be an increasingly pitchers atmosphere there.  Wouldn't be surprised if all 3 those guys were promoted and their numbers in Bowie were better than Aberdeen.

Regarding Aberdeen being a large field and pitcher's park - I can see how this could affect power numbers (mostly HRs), but I don't see how this keeps batting average and barreled balls down.  A good hitter can still hit for average and to the v power alleys on a large field, can't he?

Really ugly would be Zach Watson coming off a 20/20 season at Bowie, albeit with poor plate discipline, repeating and being absolutely brutal so far.

As far as disappointments,  I'd put Jean Pinto way up there along with Mishael Deson at Delmarva. 

I'm not sure what people expected from Joe Ortiz coming off of labrum surgery and only having very little experience coming into this year.  Granted, a .650 OPS or whatever is disappointing but I think a .750-.800 was about what I was hoping/expecting and I still don't rule it out that he gets into that territory. 

On 6/1/2022 at 12:38 PM, sportsfan8703 said:

The really ugly:

No pitchers to even really list. We really need Cowser and Kjerstad to hit the scene big. Hopefully Druw Jones as well. 

I was pretty impressed with all three pitchers last night (Peek, McGinness, Loeprich) who gave up a total 5 hits. 

Tonight in the early game of the double header I saw Vallimont pitch. FB sat 93-94, with either 79-80 or 83-84 on his other pitches (I’m so bad at identifying them). It was a very effective mix.  He only threw 3 innings, 42 pitches. His history is a lot of walks, and he did give up leadoff walks to the same batter twice, one of which came around to score. He struck out 5, doing so to 4 of the last 5 hitters he faced. The walks have to be curtailed but except for that one guy, he looked pretty good. 

All that said, I’ll pass on Jensen Elliott. 

Edited by justD
Player name misspellings
  • Upvote 2