Henderson and Westburg promoted to Norfolk

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I would agree. 

Dorrian’s OpS is barely over 500 and he turns 26 soon.

They could drop Owings for Martin soon (not that it matters)..maybe Bannon.

Dorrian was a lot of fun to watch last spring, but he’s hit his ceiling. Cullen is a walk machine, but he can’t hit. Maybe one gets demoted and the other releases? I would fully support giving Martin the UT job. 

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I thought they would wait until the All Star Break.

Going to be tough to justify keeping them down if they play well in AAA for the next three months. Especially given the lack of offense on the left side of the Major League infield.

Mateo and Urias gloves have been fine. Not like it’s Betemit over there. 

Glad that I was wrong about them slow rolling Gunnar.  1 step away from the majors!  There is hope that the O's will have actually infield prospects playing in the majors soon instead of other teams' cast offs.

I would think that one of Bannon, Grenier or Martin needs to be DFA'ed.  There's just no room for so many infielders.  I vote for Grenier.  He has really never hit well enough to think he can make it in the majors.

I'm surprised they promoted Westburg given his lull in AA, but he's been back to swinging well the last few weeks so that helps. I am really interested to see where they both play. I think we see a split of SS and Henderson will likely play the rest of his innings at 3B, but not sure on Westburg. Will he still get time at all three infield positions or will they narrow him to two?

Both have been hitting really good over the last three weeks and there's no one playing Norfolk that is a priority play at SS and 3B. 

This allows Ortiz to play everyday at SS and Prieto at 2B in Bowie. The question is who will now play 3B there. Mayo has not earned a promotion to Bowie so they may just stick an org guy like Cullen or Graffinino to play there or I guess they could send Dorrien back since he pretty much failed AAA.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Glad that I was wrong about them slow rolling Gunnar.  1 step away from the majors!  There is hope that the O's will have actually infield prospects playing in the majors soon instead of other teams' cast offs.

I would think that one of Bannon, Grenier or Martin needs to be DFA'ed.  There's just no room for so many infielders.  I vote for Grenier.  He has really never hit well enough to think he can make it in the majors.

I'd like to see Owings DFA'ed and Martin up for him. RIght now, with Gutierrez on the IL and Vavra still rehabbing, there's a bit of flexibility. Grenier could be DFA'ed, but I would think Dorrian and Cullen are cut before Bannon or Martin. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I'd like to see Owings DFA'ed and Martin up for him. RIght now, with Gutierrez on the IL and Vavra still rehabbing, there's a bit of flexibility. Grenier could be DFA'ed, but I would think Dorrian and Cullen are cut before Bannon or Martin. 

Absurd Owings is on this team. 

Gunnar's AA season was terrific. Couldn't ask for more. 

Saying that, I think people are sleeping on how highly the O's think of Westburg. I'm not saying he deserves to be as highly touted as Henderson (he doesn't), but this guy has the potential to be a sold ML starter beginning next year. I think that's what the O's are expecting.

21 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Dorrian was a lot of fun to watch last spring, but he’s hit his ceiling. Cullen is a walk machine, but he can’t hit. Maybe one gets demoted and the other releases? I would fully support giving Martin the UT job. 

Let’s face it..they could cut all of them and it won’t matter long term.  I don’t really care what they do as long as these 2 are playing a large majority of the games.

35 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Seems like there should be some additional movement coming. Vavra, Martin, Gutierrez, Bannon, Long, Grenier, Dorrian, Cullen. Something’s gotta give. 

I'd like to see:

Vavra 2b/cf in Norfolk (when fully healthy)

Martin Utility in Baltimore

Long cut

Cullen, Dorrian cut or demoted 

Grenier traded for a lottery ticket

Bannon lose some ABs in Norfolk