O's are willing to move Tillman in right deal, per Roch

Sterling Bird

No thanks, his fairly high WHIP and relatively low ERA suggest he was getting lucky. His strikeout rate is lackluster for a guy you'd be dealing a premier prospect for. Considering he'd be pitching in the toughest division in baseball, I don't think he would fare well.

Not sure why you would deal Tillman for him, would be interested to hear why you like him. Aside from his youth - those are solid numbers for his age - I just don't see anything that makes him stand out, having watched several of his starts last year. I think he's more suited to the National League, and he's a #3 starter at best. I'm interested to see if he makes another step forward this season, but I'd rather hang on to Tillman.

Actually Jurrjens was somewhat unlucky as he had a .311 BABIP and 3.59 FIP, which was better than his 3.68 ERA. His K/BB and K/9 are somewhat glaring though and should be considered red flags for a down year in 2009.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5556&position=P

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually Jurrjens was somewhat unlucky as he had a .311 BABIP and 3.59 FIP, which was better than his 3.68 ERA. His K/BB and K/9 are somewhat glaring though and should be considered red flags for a down year in 2009.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5556&position=P

.311 BABIP isn't ridiculous, but a 1.37 WHIP and 3.68 ERA don't jive at all.

.311 BABIP isn't ridiculous, but a 1.37 WHIP and 3.68 ERA don't jive at all.

The WHIP is due to the increased walks and increased BABIP.

I'm not arguing against you about Jurrjens value since I believe that he's a #3 pitcher. However, it does need to be stated that he was somewhat unlucky last year.

Chris Volstad, who was Florida's No. 1 prospect for two years running, experienced great success in 2008 with a 2.88 ERA and a 148 ERA+ in 14 MLB starts:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/volstch01.shtml

There is no way the Marlins would trade Volstad, who turned 22 in September, for a pitcher who has never thrown a pitch above the Double A level. Tillman is only 19 months younger than Volstad.

His strikeout rates aren't good. Here's a good writeup on Volstad from before the 2008 season:

2. Chris Volstad, RHP

DOB: 9/23/86

Height/Weight: 6-7/190

Bats/Throws: R/R

Drafted: 1st round, 2005, Palm Beach Gardens HS (FL)

2007 Stats: 4.50 ERA at High-A (126-152-37-93); 3.16 ERA at Double-A (42.1-41-10-25)

Year In Review: The first high school pitcher selected in 2005 held his own at Double-A before his 21st birthday.

The Good: Volstad paints the strike zone with outstanding command of a three-pitch mix. His fastball sits at 89-91 mph and features a little bit of sink and a heavy downward plane because of his big frame, which also allows him to maintain his stuff deep into games. Both his curveball and changeup are above-average pitches, and he approaches his craft with the maturity of a veteran.

The Bad: Volstad is a bit of a mismatch; a finesse pitcher in a power pitcher's body. As effective as he can be, he doesn't have a true swing-and-miss offering, and it's hard to project him as any kind of star because of it. He focuses a bit too much on throwing strikes at times, and some feel he could be more effective by occasionally mixing in chase pitches.

Fun Fact: While there are a number of Palm Beach Gardens alumni in the minors, the only major league pick out of the school is Zach Miner.

Perfect World Projection: A valuable pitcher who delivers 200+ innings annually with above-average productivity.

Timetable: Volstad will return to Double-A to begin 2008, but the Marlins feel that he could continue to move quickly and be ready for a rotation role in 2009.

Everybody loves a strike-thrower, but that's really all Volstad looks like to me.

Sign Tex

Sign Sheets

Sign Zaun

Trade Scott for Marquis, Hill and Pie

Trade Tillman, Reimold and others for Greinke

2010 LINEUP AND ROTATION

C - Wieters

1B - Teixeira

2B - BRob

SS - Izturis

3B - Snyder

LF - Pie

CF - Jones

RF - Markakis

DH - Huff

Sheets

Guthrie

Greinke

Arrieta

Matsuz/Olson/Patton

Leitch is right about this, I'm not sure why anyone is arguing with him.

If you trade Tillman straight up for a pitcher who is further along than he is, you will necessarily wind up with someone with a lower ceiling. Jurrjens is a good example.

I don't think the Marlins would actually trade Volstad for Tillman.

If you trade Tillman it has to be in a package or for a hitter, which I'm not entirely sure we need.

Don't trade Tillman. Just: :no:

Wait... you have said you are 13... Cindy has a son about that age... are you Cindy's offspring? :rofl:

Seriously though, I more or less agree. It would take A LOT for me to be ok with trading Tillman at this point... a lot more than it would take for me to be willing to trade Arrieta.

Archived