O's are willing to move Tillman in right deal, per Roch

Sterling Bird

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's remember what BB has been saying...that Arrieta may get a real shot at the rotation very quickly.

My guess is the Orioles see Arrieta as more advanced and more ML ready.

He throws harder...Sounds to me that Arrieta may have better stuff but obviously, Tillman is young enough so that he can get much better.

Exactly, I think people may be reading too much into this one here. I think it comes down to the Orioles feeling that Arrieta could crack the rotation out of spring so he is off the table, but Tillman (like virtually everyone else not named Markakis, Jones, Matusz or Wieters) can be had for the right deal.

I wonder who the Orioles are eyeing here?

Could it be Hardy? Or maybe even Peavy?

Saying that Tillman is expendable sure looks like the Orioles are looking to win now...

LOL.... this reminds me of the game you play as a kid when you whisper something to one kid and then by the time it gets to the last kids it is entirely different.

How you arrived at this conclusion because Roch says the O's won't trade Arrietta but might Tillman in the right deal is beyond me.

You agree with Arrieta getting a shot at the rotation as soon as this summer?

I'm just worried he might be another Penn/Olson/Liz/Loewen type if he does. Then again, there comes a point where either you're gonna figure it out or you're not...

Yeah I agree with the throwing them into the fire philosophy.

IMO, athletes either have it or they do not. I do not believe in damaging them for years to come.

I will use Boller as a example. Compare him and Flacoo. Some people are just better equipped.

It is just a god given ability some people have. Either you have it or you do not.

I would think that at least Arrieta, Tillman, Matusz, Bergesen and Hernandez will be there.

The word on Matusz is simply electric stuff, I remember hearing last year that he could start in a major-league rotation then.

Do you think there is any chance whatsoever that Matusz goes straight to the majors?

Is it possible? (Not saying that I think it is, but you just keep hearing nothing but amazing things about this kid and if he blows people away in ST...)

You agree with Arrieta getting a shot at the rotation as soon as this summer?I'm just worried he might be another Penn/Olson/Liz/Loewen type if he does. Then again, there comes a point where either you're gonna figure it out or you're not...

If health and performance are there, I see no reason why all the big 3 can't get their shot this summer.

I can not imagine that being true, since Tillman had a better year at AA, then Arrieta had at A… and more importantly is two years younger.

Tillman

4/15/88

135.2 IP, 115 hits, 154 k's, 65 walks, 11-4, 3.18 ERA

Arrieta

3/6/86

113 IP, 80 hits, 120 k's, 51 walks, 6-5, 2.87 ERA.

That is no knock on Arrieta… many called him the most developed pitcher on the US Olympic team… and as a former college pitcher, I expect him to move quick if he succeeds at Bowie this year…. But there is no way the O's like him better.

Numbers don't tell the whole story here. Arrieta throws harder/has better stuff and the Orioles may feel he is more advanced despite the level of his assignment.

That isn't necessarily right, but I'm with Lucky Jim - it might be that the difference betwen Tillman's perceived value and actual is higher than that of Arrieta and that is something the Orioles are willing to exploit in the right deal

LOL.... this reminds me of the game you play as a kid when you whisper something to one kid and then by the time it gets to the last kids it is entirely different.

How you arrived at this conclusion because Roch says the O's won't trade Arrietta but might Tillman in the right deal is beyond me.

Yo yo why you stealing my analogy from one of the Tex threads???

LOL. Good stuff.

Would the Baltimore Orioles trade Chris Tillman to the Cincinnati Reds for firstbaseman Joey Votto?

The Reds reportedly are high on firstbase prospect Yonder Alonso.

The Reds would never do that deal and even though they like Yonder a lot, please remember that he hasn't even played a full year in the minors yet so throwing him onto the major league club is more than likely NOT going to happen this coming season. :rolleyestf:

I'm in no hurry to trade any of the Big 3. If we do, an established, solid pitcher has to be part of what's coming our way.

I remember the last "Big Three" I got a helmet with all three of their signatures.

Man, that Bedard, Cabrera and Loewen autographed hat should net me a fortune one day :)

The word on Matusz is simply electric stuff, I remember hearing last year that he could start in a major-league rotation then.

Do you think there is any chance whatsoever that Matusz goes straight to the majors?

Is it possible? (Not saying that I think it is, but you just keep hearing nothing but amazing things about this kid and if he blows people away in ST...)

It's actually kind-of the opposite. He's got four pitches that rate as average to plus, with his change-up and curve probably the best of the four. It's not that his stuff is "electric." He's just got great pitchability.

Now, it's true that some scouts claim he was touching 96 MPH in the AFL. Which would be fantastic. He lived at 89-92 in college, though.

Archived