O's are willing to move Tillman in right deal, per Roch

Sterling Bird

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lineup that includes Tex will score plenty of runs. Hardy doesn't need to be added. Izturis will do just fine for us defensively.

Like I said before, you only trade Tillman for pitching.

I actually disagree with this. I only trade Tillman to improve our risk profile and meet a need.

I.e., high-ceiling, low-risk at SS or perhaps 1B. If we get a ML-ready arm, he's going to necessarily be lower-ceiling than Tillman. I'm not sure how that helps us.

A 22 year old with lots of potential.

He already put up good numbers at age 22.

He's young but there isn't a whole lot of stuff there to project on for me. I like him as a mid/back-end kind of guy, but I think Tillman can be way better than that.

Look at Jair Jurjens. I would deal Tillman for him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=28854

No thanks, his fairly high WHIP and relatively low ERA suggest he was getting lucky. His strikeout rate is lackluster for a guy you'd be dealing a premier prospect for. Considering he'd be pitching in the toughest division in baseball, I don't think he would fare well.

Not sure why you would deal Tillman for him, would be interested to hear why you like him. Aside from his youth - those are solid numbers for his age - I just don't see anything that makes him stand out, having watched several of his starts last year. I think he's more suited to the National League, and he's a #3 starter at best. I'm interested to see if he makes another step forward this season, but I'd rather hang on to Tillman.

I actually disagree with this. I only trade Tillman to improve our risk profile and meet a need.

I.e., high-ceiling, low-risk at SS or perhaps 1B. If we get a ML-ready arm, he's going to necessarily be lower-ceiling than Tillman. I'm not sure how that helps us.

So you would trade Tillman for Escobar even though you have Izturis for 2 years? If we get Tex, we don't trade Tillman for a 1B. Our only holes going forward in 2 years are SS and 3B (if we resign BRob). There will be cheaper options than Escobar over the next 2 years.

I don't see Tillman as having a higher ceiling than Greinke. He would be my top target in a trade. Also TINSTAAP is a big variable in trading Tillman. How much can we put into stock that he will meet his potential. If you can cash out on him now (plus Reimold) and possibly get a Greinke, then you do very well.

I'd rather keep Tillman than either deal.

Chris Volstad, who was Florida's No. 1 prospect for two years running, experienced great success in 2008 with a 2.88 ERA and a 148 ERA+ in 14 MLB starts:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/volstch01.shtml

There is no way the Marlins would trade Volstad, who turned 22 in September, for a pitcher who has never thrown a pitch above the Double A level. Tillman is only 19 months younger than Volstad.

So you would trade Tillman for Escobar even though you have Izturis for 2 years? If we get Tex, we don't trade Tillman for a 1B. Our only holes going forward in 2 years are SS and 3B (if we resign BRob). There will be cheaper options than Escobar over the next 2 years.

I don't see Tillman as having a higher ceiling than Greinke. He would be my top target in a trade. Also TINSTAAP is a big variable in trading Tillman. How much can we put into stock that he will meet his potential. If you can cash out on him now (plus Reimold) and possibly get a Greinke, then you do very well.

Tillman, Reimold and DHernandez for Greinke.

I hope and pray for a time when every single thing Roch posts isn't scrutinized for hidden meaning. I don't think this indicates that MacPhail is up to some harebrained trading scheme at all. It just means that Tillman is more expendable than Arrieta. I can only begin to speculate why, but it certainly doesn't mean anything is in the works.

Archived