Ben McDonald calling Texas A&M/Notre Dame game

OriolesMagic83

Unfortunately for us, he gave the best of himself to LSU.

I can only imagine what the thread about #1 pick in 1989 amateur draft would have looked like about this time that year if we had the board then.

If we ever get Fanfest back with an improved team, I'm hoping for Ben on a panel with some analyst from today's front office, and the question will be aimed at perspectives on College Ace utilization over the years.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I can only imagine what the thread about #1 pick in 1989 amateur draft would have looked like about this time that year if we had the board then.

If we ever get Fanfest back with an improved team, I'm hoping for Ben on a panel with some analyst from today's front office, and the question will be aimed at perspectives on College Ace utilization over the years.

You know, he was a pretty good pitcher for us.  Basically, he was a no. 2-3 starter.   Not what you hope for from a 1:1, but then again, we got a 1:1 outcome from our 1:20 pick the following year (Mussina), so it all worked out   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The hype for Ben McDonald was very big in 1989 given that it was pre-internet. Comparisons to Roger Clemens and other past great pitchers were being made. 

But like you said LSU got the best of McDonald in college and he was damaged goods by the time the Orioles got him. I recall in 1989 that McDonald started a game and the very next day pitched in relief during the College World Series.

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, he was a pretty good pitcher for us.  Basically, he was a no. 2-3 starter.   Not what you hope for from a 1:1, but then again, we got a 1:1 outcome from our 1:20 pick the following year (Mussina), so it all worked out   

Yep, and like the analogy if Gunnar can keep up with or even leapfrog Adley the same way.    I didn't realize it then the way I do now, but the McDonald-Mussina teams they were almost the only good young guys, though not so much as Ripken-Murray really were a decade beforehand.    

Frank on the other hand bolstered Age 24 Powell, Age 23 Davey, Age 29 Brooks, Age 22 Blair, Age 23 McNally, Age 20 Palmer so...yeah, nice team.

Gunnar playing up to someone you might hope to put out a 5-win season sometime in a good year give this group Mullins-Hays-Adley-Grayson-Gunnar as candidates to get there while we await what Hall-Kjerstad-Cowser-2022 1-1 will be.

Fingers crossed April 2023 brings >$40mm payroll and no nagging muscle strains.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Donald Harris an outfielder from Texas Tech was the fifth pick of the 1989 draft and fits the profile of an Elias draft pick. He had a total of 117 MLB at bats and a career WAR of -1.4. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/harrido01.shtml

I know it's fun to speculate but you can't go underslot without slots.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know it's fun to speculate but you can't go underslot without slots.

I do think Ben would have slipped if drafted today with his over-usage at LSU and the concerns about his arm health. Maybe Ben even goes the Kumar Rocker route and doesn't sign with the team that initially drafts him. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I do think Ben would have slipped if drafted today with his over-usage at LSU and the concerns about his arm health. Maybe Ben even goes the Kumar Rocker route and doesn't sign with the team that initially drafts him. 

On the other hand Ben wouldn't get abused to that degree today.

McDonald may have been overused in college but I don't recall anyone questioning the health of his arm.  What I remember was a pitcher who had a Gregg Olson ish curveball but who kept straining his elbow, started throwing his curveball differently and it went from a put away pitch to just another curveball.