Bullpen has been excellent.

DocJJ

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Guess the pen wasn’t tired tonight?

I’m glad they only had to get 7 outs.   And none of the three guys we used pitched on Tuesday.   Hoping for another relatively deep start tomorrow and then our ‘pen should be pretty caught up on rest.  

• 3 weeks later...

Happiness is a good, reliable bullpen.  

Other than a 3-4 day hiccup at the end of June/beginning of July, the bullpen has been unbelievable.   By month:

April 3.46

May 3.16

June 2.89

July 2.65

Krehbiel and Baker have both pitched well lately, taking a little of the burden off the other guys.  

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Look at the stuff though.

Bautista - 99-102 fastball, 90 split finger
Lopez - 98-99 sinker, curveball, split change
Tate - 95-97 sinker, swing and miss change
Perez - 96-98 fastball, slider that can be unhittable
Kreibel - 94-96, swing and miss change, cutter
Baker - Of late sitting 96-99, change, cutter
Akin - Arthur Rhodes like length guy
Vespi - Slider and curveball that is even tough on RHB despite being lefty

I'm not sure the Orioles have ever had as many weapons.

Just thought I'd post this here (this being from tonight's game thread.)

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 4:53 PM, Three Run Homer said:

Lopez needs to move to a mop-up role until he gets his stuff/command back.   He probably shouldn't have been out there in the 9th inning of a tie game today, and continuing to put him in game situations going forward would be serious managerial malpractice.

Yet Hyde kept doing it and Lopez hasn't allowed an earned run since.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Happiness is a good, reliable bullpen.  

Other than a 3-4 day hiccup at the end of June/beginning of July, the bullpen has been unbelievable.   By month:

April 3.46

May 3.16

June 2.89

July 2.65

Krehbiel and Baker have both pitched well lately, taking a little of the burden off the other guys.  

Redefining regression! ;)

• Haha 1

I still think you can trade high on Lopez. Bautista is already handling the toughest part of the lineup in the 8th often. Vespi stays permanently and you can bring up another guy. I’d expect to get 2 to 3 quality prospects for Lopez. Something like Hamel, Ramirez, and Dominquez from the Mets.

If we've learned anything in the last few months, it's that a good, deep, and well-managed bullpen can make up for a multitude of sins. Including a lack of starting depth.

Not sure why we'd want to trade that away. Any of it.

We have a couple of decent starters now, and a few journeymen workhorses. Nothing awesome, but serviceable. And already we're on the cusp of post-season play.

Next year we add Grayson, DL Hall, and return Means.

I really don't understand why everyone is clamoring to trade away what's making us good.

This team is being designed as a conveyor belt....  With replacement parts continuously coming down the line.... As parts mature into the edge of Free Agency... you trade them for high quality replacement parts that go back onto the early part of the conveyor belt.  That's where the continuing value is. You DON'T trade them for a couple of  years of expensive established players. That's what everyone else trying to contend does... and fails at.

We want perpetual contention. We have suffered a long march of losing to get here. Maybe... if we're lucky... we can resist the urge to dive back into a losing strategy.

• Like 1

After last night, Fangraphs Team Stats relievers sees BAL back in the #1 position.   Basically even with ATL and NYY (Yankees working through recent King loss), the lead group some gap on the rest.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=20,d

BAL has used about 15% more innings than ATL-NYY to compile basically the same WAR, so probably a bit worse on a per-batter basis.     Perhaps someday we'll have a Max Fried or Gerrit Cole type character to help with that mix.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I still think you can trade high on Lopez. Bautista is already handling the toughest part of the lineup in the 8th often. Vespi stays permanently and you can bring up another guy. I’d expect to get 2 to 3 quality prospects for Lopez. Something like Hamel, Ramirez, and Dominquez from the Mets.

I'm skeptical that they'd get three decent-to-good prospects for a guy whose entire value is staked on 46.1 innings this year.

If the tables were turned would you give up, say, Westburg, Rom, and another lower guy for someone with Lopez' resume?  

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm skeptical that they'd get three decent-to-good prospects for a guy whose entire value is staked on 46.1 innings this year.

If the tables were turned would you give up, say, Westburg, Rom, and another lower guy for someone with Lopez' resume?  

If I thought I was a World Series contender and was one reliever short, yes, I would. Plus Lopez is not a free agent until 2025 so he's not just a rental.