Bullpen has been excellent.

DocJJ

Just now, LA2 said:

Comparison of Lopez to Bautista since the trade:

Lopez's 8 games: 3 three-out Saves / 2 Blown (one of which Twins eventually won); 2 successful non-save Finishes; 1 scoreless 9th before extra innings.

Change in ERA: 1.64 - 1.92. Team record: 6-2.

Bautista's 10 games: 6 saves, incl. a 4-out and 5-out save / 0 Blown; 4 successful non-save Finishes.

Change in ERA: 1.65 - 1.68. Team record: 10-0.

The problem, as many have pointed out, is that the rest of the bullpen has not held up as well.

The people who made that about Lopez vs Bautista were always making an awful point.  That never had anything to do with the issue in trading Lopez.

Sure, trading Lopez hurt but it's not like guys are pitching in unfamiliar spots compared to before.   Kreihble and Akins have not been good recently.  Coincidentally, neither is a big strikeout guy.   Baker looks like he could be a high leverage guy by next year.  He's not there yet but he's got the ability.    If Hall can do what he did the other night at Norfolk he would be a huge boost to the bullpen.   Then you've got Tyler Wells also.   That would be another boost to the bullpen for the stretch.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Sure, trading Lopez hurt but it's not like guys are pitching in unfamiliar spots compared to before.   Kreihble and Akins have not been good recently.  Coincidentally, neither is a big strikeout guy.   Baker looks like he could be a high leverage guy by next year.  He's not there yet but he's got the ability.    If Hall can do what he did the other night at Norfolk he would be a huge boost to the bullpen.   Then you've got Tyler Wells also.   That would be another boost to the bullpen for the stretch.

The big issue with trading Lopez is that they now have three reliable guys to close out games (Tate/Perez/Omar). It seems like all they do is play close games, so they're leaning on those guys night after night, which can't go on indefinitely. The more innings they have to shift over to the B team (Akin/Baker/et al), the less likely they are to win those games. If they're going to try to keep winning the way that they have been, they really need one more reliable late-game option. Wells might be that guy, that's probably the best bet. I don't know if Hall is going to be reliable enough to be counted on for that role. 

I think the bullpen is getting tired.  It’s late in the year and they’ve logged a lot of innings.  Hopefully Hall and Wells can join the team soon and that should help with the fatigue issues.   

Bryan Baker has never thrown more than 54.1.innings in a season, and he’s at 52.2 now.   Akin has thrown more innings as a starter, but he’s logged the most innings (66.0) of any pitcher in MLB who hasn’t started a game.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the bullpen is getting tired.  It’s late in the year and they’ve logged a lot of innings.  Hopefully Hall and Wells can join the team soon and that should help with the fatigue issues.   

Bryan Baker has never thrown more than 54.1.innings in a season, and he’s at 52.2 now.   Akin has thrown more innings as a starter, but he’s logged the most innings (66.0) of any pitcher in MLB who hasn’t started a game.  

Are they getting tired or are things just starting to even out?

Most of these guys have been pitching over their heads most of the year.  The idea that it’s catching up to them slowly but surely is not surprising at all. In fact, it was easy to see coming.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Are they getting tired or are things just starting to even out?

Most of these guys have been pitching over their heads most of the year.  The idea that it’s catching up to them slowly but surely is not surprising at all. In fact, it was easy to see coming.

I’m just telling you what I feel I’m seeing with certain guys.  Akin’s not as crisp as earlier in the season.  Baker has been kind of inconsistent but the ratio of shaky outings to solid ones is increasing.   The other guy who looks tired is Krehbiel, though he really shouldn’t be.  I don’t really see issues with the other guys.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just telling you what I feel I’m seeing with certain guys.  Akin’s not as crisp as earlier in the season.  Baker has been kind of inconsistent but the ratio of shaky outings to solid ones is increasing.   The other guy who looks tired is Krehbiel, though he really shouldn’t be.  I don’t really see issues with the other guys.  

Akin hasn’t been crisp for a while.  It’s not some recent thing.

Baker and Kreihbel have been inconsistent because they just aren’t that good.

I think sometimes people try too hard to find answers while ignoring the obvious one all along.

Edited by Sports Guy

Baker came out of the All-Star Break confidently pumping not previously seen near-100 mph fastballs in to hitters like Judge. So I think there is and will be a period of tuning and adjusting into his new profile. I'm optimistic.

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Akin hasn’t been crisp for a while.  It’s not some recent thing.

Baker and Kreihbel have been inconsistent because they just aren’t that good.

I think sometimes people try too hard to find answers while ignoring the obvious one all along.

In truth, Akin has not been used in the same multi-inning way recently (weeks if not 1-2 months w/o looking) IMHO. Does that mean he need reps to stay sharp, IDK but either way isn't sharp now. Is that because of usage, lack of talent vs repetition, injury, rust, who knows. IMO I think we need to get him on a more frequent schedule going multi-innings as a tandem guy to someone. I don't care who, just pick someone and limit them to 3-4 innings and throw Akin.

On another note, again IMHO, Baker needs more innings in middle relief to see if increased velo and composure is real. Pulling him the other night after 5 pitches and 1 batter caused a domino effect requiring Mountain to get 5 outs after everyone crapped out. As for Joey, I agree with SG.

Edited by AnythingO's

13 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

In truth, Akin has not been used in the same multi-inning way recently (weeks if not 1-2 months w/o looking) IMHO. Does that mean he need reps to stay sharp, IDK but either way isn't sharp now. Is that because of usage, lack of talent vs repetition, injury, rust, who knows. IMO I think we need to get him on a more frequent schedule going multi-innings as a tandem guy to someone. I don't care who, just pick someone and limit them to 3-4 innings and throw Akin.

On another note, again IMHO, Baker needs more innings in middle relief to see if increased velo and composure is real. Pulling him the other night after 5 pitches and 1 batter caused a domino effect requiring Mountain to get 5 outs after everyone crapped out. As for Joey, I agree with SG.

It’s not just recently where Akin hasn’t been that good.

13 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The bullpen has been shaky recently. It feels like we’re just now starting to feel the loss of Lopez, in that everyone seems to be slotted up into a slightly more important role.

I don’t know what the answer is because we need them to get 9-12 outs each night. Hall?  We’ve let some DFA guys/released vets go by that I thought could’ve helped. Maybe Wily Peralta that the Tigers just released?  Tyler Wells?

Gotta get back on track. It’s our blueprint to winning. 

Actually scoring some runs would help.  When you have no breathing room it not easy to continue to put up zeros.  Way to many games with little to no offense in the first 5 or 6 runs.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, deward said:

The big issue with trading Lopez is that they now have three reliable guys to close out games (Tate/Perez/Omar). It seems like all they do is play close games, so they're leaning on those guys night after night, which can't go on indefinitely. The more innings they have to shift over to the B team (Akin/Baker/et al), the less likely they are to win those games. If they're going to try to keep winning the way that they have been, they really need one more reliable late-game option. Wells might be that guy, that's probably the best bet. I don't know if Hall is going to be reliable enough to be counted on for that role. 

Spot on assessment. Replacing Lopez with Bautista has been ok. However, it’s replacing Bautista part as a set up guy that’s been difficult. Guys are tired and/or getting over exposed from pitching in roles that are higher leverage. Think Brach as closer when Britton was hurt. 

We just seem a high leverage arm short right now.  Maybe Hall will excel and won’t walk the world. Wells seems like he 2 weeks away. There’s been some intriguing options hit the waiver wire. Wily Peralta from Det for example.