Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What’s dumb is that you think I’m suggesting trading those 3 for Snell.

I mean, you did write, "We should trade Mancini, Santander, and Tate..... and get Snell."

I'll give you benefit of the doubt that you meant that generally.  That's fine.  But even then: I wouldn't trade any one of our guys for Snell straight up.  And if we did trade those three guys and the headliner of the return was Snell, I'd be livid.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Depends what you’re looking for.   Benintendi is probably the better all around player, Mancini is the better bat, especially if you’re looking for some power.   I doubt teams looking at Mancini plan to use him primarily as an outfielder.   

Mancini is .2 better in career OPS. Benintendi has been worth 14.3 WAR vs 9.5 WAR. Trey offers more pop but less speed and fielding. Sure it’s pick your poison I suppose. But, I think I’d prefer Benintendi if I were trading for a player.

38 minutes ago, connja said:

My preferences for trading:

1.  Santander

2. Tate (anyone from the bullpen other than Lopez, who I really believe in now).

3. Odor

4.  Mancini (only if blown away)

You are only willing to trade a guy who is a free agent at the end of the season if you are blown away?  There is no blow away offering coming. You could maybe apply that reasoning to Santander. 

Odor shouldn’t be on your list as he has no trade value. 

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

I mean, you did write, "We should trade Mancini, Santander, and Tate..... and get Snell."

I'll give you benefit of the doubt that you meant that generally.  That's fine.  But even then: I wouldn't trade any one of our guys for Snell straight up.  And if we did trade those three guys and the headliner of the return was Snell, I'd be livid.

Well that’s an absurd thought.  The idea that you wouldn’t trade either of those guys for Snell is ridiculous.  

Mancini was on MLB Network Radio last night.  Was talking like a man that knows he’s about to be traded.  Said all the right things, as he always does, but have a sense that he’s looking forward to the next challenge.  Made a point to mention there has been zero talk about extension and even made reference to young guys in Norfolk that would be with the team “for a long time.” Baltimore is all he has known and I’m sure he loves his teammates and the org that gave him an opportunity, but he’s been on some bad teams as a MLBer and I’m sure he’s excited for the next chapter.  

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

You are only willing to trade a guy who is a free agent at the end of the season if you are blown away?  There is no blow away offering coming. You could maybe apply that reasoning to Santander. 

Odor shouldn’t be on your list as he has no trade value. 

Fair enough about the contact....I though we held an option for next year.  

8 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Mancini is .2 better in career OPS. Benintendi has been worth 14.3 WAR vs 9.5 WAR. Trey offers more pop but less speed and fielding. Sure it’s pick your poison I suppose. But, I think I’d prefer Benintendi if I were trading for a player.

Like I said, it depends what you need.  Do you need a table setting OF who’s a pretty good defender or a middle of the lineup 1B/DH who can play OF in a pinch?  

When I look at Benintendi’s offensive profile and his career progression to date, he reminds me a ton of Nick Markakis.   Not quite as good, but very similar.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Like I said, it depends what you need.  Do you need a table setting OF who’s a pretty good defender or a middle of the lineup 1B/DH who can play OF in a pinch?  

When I look at Benintendi’s offensive profile and his career progression to date, he reminds me a ton of Nick Markakis.   Not quite as good, but very similar.  

Well their OPS is nearly identical…Benintendi needs to play 8 more seasons and the WAR would be even. I think Benintendi is a better defensive player than Nick was ….but Kakes had a better arm.

14 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Mancini was on MLB Network Radio last night.  Was talking like a man that knows he’s about to be traded.  Said all the right things, as he always does, but have a sense that he’s looking forward to the next challenge.  Made a point to mention there has been zero talk about extension and even made reference to young guys in Norfolk that would be with the team “for a long time.” Baltimore is all he has known and I’m sure he loves his teammates and the org that gave him an opportunity, but he’s been on some bad teams as a MLBer and I’m sure he’s excited for the next chapter.  

I hope Mancini hits a HR in a playoff series winning game or even the World Series.  I could definitely see him going to the Mets. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:53 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

.500 baseball for 1/3 of the season is reason for optimism. Especially with Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra, solving our three position player needs. 

I think the last team to have three position players come up and immediately solve their problems and thrust a team into contention was Jeter, Williams, Posada.

I still can't believe these three will immediately be the cureall to everything.

I understand Henderson is likely to be the top rated prospect in the minors come mid season rankings, but even guys like Kyle Tucker took time and seasoning.

I still think the Orioles should be in the market for long term middle infield help if they can.

20 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I think the last team to have three position players come up and immediately solve their problems and thrust a team into contention was Jeter, Williams, Posada.

I still can't believe these three will immediately be the cureall to everything.

I understand Henderson is likely to be the top rated prospect in the minors come mid season rankings, but even guys like Kyle Tucker took time and seasoning.

I still think the Orioles should be in the market for long term middle infield help if they can.

I think starting pitching should be the priority especially since Elias has been adverse to drafting them