Dodging the Ohtani Bullet (Twice)

Frobby

This is our second series with the Angels, and looks we’ve missed him on the mound for the second time.   Phew.

At bat, he went 3 for 12 against us in Anaheim, all singles.  

I’m going Thursday night and hope he is similarly unsuccessful (relatively speaking).   Met up with Moose last year and saw a comeback win for the O’s in a game Ohtani started, that broke a 19-game losing streak for the good guys.   

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is our second series with the Angels, and looks we’ve missed him on the mound for the second time.   Phew.

At bat, he went 3 for 12 against us in Anaheim, all singles.  

I’m going Thursday night and hope he is similarly unsuccessful (relatively speaking).   Met up with Moose last year and saw a comeback win for the O’s in a game Ohtani started, that broke a 19-game losing streak for the good guys.   

That was a fun time!

Ohtani disappointed on the mound and at the plate, though.  Glad we're missing him on the mound again this year, I don't know if we'd be so lucky again.

Honestly, he's the kind of player I wouldn't mind watching pitch against the O's. He's not just a generational player - he's a multiple generational player. Babe Ruth's final game was 87 years ago. We may never see another Ohtani for another 50+ years.

It would be fun seeing how we stack up against him, and hey, the Angels would probably find a way to lose his game anyway. :)

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Honestly, he's the kind of player I wouldn't mind watching pitch against the O's. He's not just a generational player - he's a multiple generational player. Babe Ruth's final game was 87 years ago. We may never see another Ohtani for another 50+ years.

It would be fun seeing how we stack up against him, and hey, the Angels would probably find a way to lose his game anyway. :)

I saw a stat that the Angels were 5-1 in Ohtani's starts in June and 6-19 or similar number in other starters' starts.  The Angels should just trade him now while they can get max value.  It's bad when you can't build a winning team starting with 2 of the best players in baseball.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I saw a stat that the Angels were 5-1 in Ohtani's starts in June and 6-19 or similar number in other starters' starts.  The Angels should just trade him now while they can get max value.  It's bad when you can't build a winning team starting with 2 of the best players in baseball.

What can they get for him?  Maybe a pretty good DH and a top 30 pitcher?  Oh wait he's already both of those.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What can they get for him?  Maybe a pretty good DH and a top 30 pitcher?  Oh wait he's already both of those.

Maybe the foundation of a winning team?  The Angels have made a postseason series once since Trout was there.  I believe they made a wildcard game too.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I know it's beneficial to the Orioles not to face Ohtani, but I'd love to see him pitch in a game against the Orioles. He's probably my favorite non-Orioles player in all of MLB right now. 

Let him pitch in some games against the Yankees.   

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Dodging? There is nobody I want to see pitch at Camden Yards more. If you don’t like Ohtani, your not a baseball fan.

I saw him pitch last year.  I’m happy for the Orioles not to face him (as a pitcher), particularly right now when he’s on a 28.2 inning streak of not allowing an earned run.   I’d much rather watch us face Chase Silseth.   (Now he’ll probably no-hit us tonight.)

By the way, there’s quite  a back story on Chase Silseth.   He was a 2021 11th round pick, pitched only 5.1 innings last year after being drafted, then started 2022 in AA and was called up to the Angels after making only five AA starts this year.   He had four starts for the Angels, was sent back to AA, made two starts there and was recalled again.  This is his second start since his recall.  Pretty bizarre early career path.  Here’s an article: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/how-chase-silseth-went-from-an-11th-round-pick-to-the-majors-in-less-than-a-year/?amphtml

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I saw him pitch last year.  I’m happy for the Orioles not to face him (as a pitcher), particularly right now when he’s on a 28.2 inning streak of not allowing an earned run.   I’d much rather watch us face Chase Silseth.   (Now he’ll probably no-hit us tonight.)

Damn you!!  🙂