Let’s Be Buyers

oriolefan1035

28 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Please no! Last thing I want to see is the Davies, Rodriguez, etc. deals repeated. We are 5 games under at the best point in our season, and it's not like we are some team that planned on competing this year, that put a lot of money into certain expectations this season, that is falling below them, we are still in a rebuild and have no need to force it. 

Sellers all the way this season until at least next. 

Do agree with this, though. And would probably add Mullins there. 

Nobody is advocating we part with our good or even decent prospects. But the trade comp I’ve seen floated for Lyles is Andrew Cashner. Do we really need another Elio Prado or Noelberth Romero? At that rate, I’d just as well give those types up to get a 2nd Lyles type to give this team a fighting chance down the stretch.

1 minute ago, oriolefan1035 said:

Nobody is advocating we part with our good or even decent prospects. But the trade comp I’ve seen floated for Lyles is Andrew Cashner. Do we really need another Elio Prado or Noelberth Romero? At that rate, I’d just as well give those types up to get a 2nd Lyles type to give this team a fighting chance down the stretch.

The Os will just bring up Harvey for that second Lyles type guy.  No need to trade for him.

35 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Do agree with this, though. And would probably add Mullins there. 

I'm just uncertain of Mullins present value in a trade and future value to the team.  Can anyone help quantify this?  Last year he was great, 30/30.  This year, still very good but a lot on the defense.  Is he valued at this years comps, last years, or in between.  And what's that get us?

If it's last years comps, lets trade him.  This years, I may consider keep as core.

I don't think  Mancini and Santander will net major league ready starting pitching. Teams that would like them are probably in contention and would be loth to give up starting pitching, maybe San Diego or Milwaukee.  I think if you want ML ready starting pitching you would have to consider trading Vavra and Stowers to a team looking to rebuild.

10 hours ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I’m not talking crazy and suggesting to sell the farm that we finally just built. But this team has swagger and I want to see it continue to be more competitive over the remainder of this season. Give up Odor for a bag of balls and call up Vavra. Give up some spare pieces that we don’t see as part of the future and add a competent SP. If GrayRod makes it back this year and we’re still in contention, let him pitch in Baltimore. I’m not ready to give up on this team making a Wild Card push this year.

At first I was going to say heck no.  But this is actually reasonable.  Bring up the kids if ready (I agree on Vavra) and see if you can get a starter or two for some "spare" parts (not sure you can, but worth looking into). 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I feel like it has happened.  I’d have to go back and look.  I would say it likely hasn’t happened to the scale I would like to see it.

That said, sometimes you can buy and sell in one deal.  Let’s just say, for example, you could deal Mullins for Meyer and Lopez.  (Not saying you can although I do think it’s possible)

That would be a deal where you are buying and selling within the same trade.  

That’s what I would like to see.  I would sell off the role player pieces like Santander, Mancini and Tate and then use Mullins or Hays to acquire cost controlled, ML (or near ML) ready pitching.

The wild card, for me, is Lopez.  No idea what his market is.  My gut feeling would be that his market won’t be great because he just hasn’t done it enough but teams do get desperate for late inning relievers at the deadline, so we shall see.

But I wouldn’t hesitate to move some younger prospects in a deal for something we need either.

Without looking anything up, I seem to remember the Red Sox being buyers a nd sellers when they traded Lester for Cespedes, but also traded a bunch of other guys for prospects.  

Just for fun, who's the best player we could get by packaging Westburg, DL Hall, and Mayo?

I'd welcome trading prospects for controllable SPs at this point if the deal was right. Not to compete for a WC this year, but it just seems like a good move for the franchise at this point. And let's go get Carlos Correa when he opts out this winter.

Apparently the Marlins owner wants to see his team go for it.  They probably won’t deal Lopez because of how good he has been and helps them now.  I would guess Eury Perez has become a guy they won’t move.

Im still looking at Meyer as the guy.  Can you guy Meyer and another Ml starter (like Bautista) or another very good prospect for Mullins?

If so, should the Os do that?  Meyer is having a nice season in AAA.  He is getting close to be ML ready.  Top 25 prospect who likely has a solid chance of being a mid rotation starter with the upside to be more.

• Upvote 1

The team is playing good baseball and without the two most recent blown saves would be basically .500. We really don’t need to be buyers if we just simply call up the guys in AAA that are ready. 

Two simple moves I could see Elias doing that won’t rock the boat are trading Mancini, and buying a rental SP that would require us giving up prospects similar to the Cashner deal. 

Toss in Matt Harvey, and expanded rosters in September, and we could make a run at .500 and the last WC spot. Expanded rosters in September will help us. Extra PH possibilities, and a couple arms to help piece together innings. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Depends what we’re buying.  Someone who could help for 2-3 years?   Maybe.   A 2022 rental?   Certainly not.  

I think everyone is in agreement that outside pitching is needed in some way. The free agent market for starters is fairly barren next year, so if there's a good fit for a trade for a starter who will be here for a while, I think it makes as much sense to do it at the deadline versus the offseason. I'm not really sure there is a good fit out there though.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Everybody is hoping the team become buyers, but I think most are going to be disappointed, when they buy nothing.

I don’t think anyone will be disappointed unless we know a deal is that we all like but we can’t do it because of money.

Otherwise, most fans are happy to hold onto our prospects and fan favorites like Mullins. 

• Upvote 1

We should not be buying as we would need pitching to try and earn a WC spot as Wells will have a limit.  Hall isn't the savior either although I think he could be great. I just don't think he ends up being a starting pitcher, or at least having that role when he does arrive this Summer.  To buy pitching, you need to give up a lot, and Elias knows he doesn't have the SP depth to compete just yet, nor is he willing to sacrifice hes better prospects in a trade right now.

We should be selective sellers and try to put ourselves in the best place to compete in 2023 as this team is showing huge improvement. 

Mancini needs to be traded. Mountcastle is our 1B and we have enough depth to find quality DH at bats

The OF depth is pretty good so I say trade Santander if a team is interested

If there is a market for Lopez, he probably needs to go as well. If you like an offer for Tate, you can trade him too, but bullpen starts getting a little thin.

Lopez, Mancini, and Santander as a package could bring back some AAA or MLB ready pitching that we need at the top of the system

I was for looking at Mullins and Hays trade partners, but now I'm not too sure. If we can realistically compete for playoff spots in 2023, 2024, and 2025 maybe they need to be part of the future.

I think Lyles could be traded, but if he isn't its okay as our rotation at the end of the year will probably need him and Matt Harvey to get us to the end without burning out our bullpen and young arms.  Adding Hall will help us find more innings, but beyond him, we are thin at AAA. Maybe Kevin Smith gets a turn.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s also remember that Cowser will be in Baltimore next year too, unless he is hurt.

You are going to need to make room and the reality is that you can make the room now.

Not sure how you could be so sure of yourself regarding a player who is just getting his feet wet in Double A.

He could be up at some point next year. He could not be. But if he is, likely to be in the second half of the season.

Stowers and Vavra are the guys I’m looking to make room for right now.