Rosenthal: Os could be buyers and sellers

Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm confused. Bumgarner is signed through 2024 and has a larger salary than Snell.

Both would basically be salary dumps, but Bumgarner makes more money.

I have no idea how much money the Diamondbacks and Padres would eat to trade them, but I don't think there would be any real prospect cost for either, as both make more money that they would earn on the open market.

Bumgarner's results have been better this year, but they weren't better in 2020 or 2021, and he is three years older so I don't know how anyone could say with any confidence that he would be better going forward.

I agree and have said 3 times that I’d ask them to pay half of this year, next and then be responsible for the final year which is around 14 million (without looking). You’d have him (I’m going off memory) for 5.75, 11.5, and 14 million. He’s a career mid 3 era guy. And he’s not having a bad year like Snell so you don’t have to hope he figures it out. 

i think the cost would be a couple of filler prospects 

8 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Odds and projections and everything in that ballpark are useful. I wholeheartedly believe that. They also aren't infallible. I think sometimes certain people lean too much on them instead of also accepting there's a human element here. This isn't a video game. People matter. 

Don't let SG read this article.  Sheesh.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm confused. Bumgarner is signed through 2024 and has a larger salary than Snell.

Both would basically be salary dumps, but Bumgarner makes more money.

I have no idea how much money the Diamondbacks and Padres would eat to trade them, but I don't think there would be any real prospect cost for either, as both make more money that they would earn on the open market.

Bumgarner's results have been better this year, but they weren't better in 2020 or 2021, and he is three years older so I don't know how anyone could say with any confidence that he would be better going forward.

I’d argue that Snell has been better this year and I’d certainly take him going forward over Bumgarner. 

I heard from someone that we could be after Oakland pitchers.  Not sure anyone else is worth it outside of Montas.

Blackburn?  Maybe??

Woukd think Montas would be expensive (trade wise) and he has some shoulder inflammation, so not sure he would be the best target.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the Padres would eat any money.  The reason they are considering trading someone is to lower payroll.

They'll most certainly eat money to trade Myers or Hosmer.   Eating money still saves you money if the contracts come off the payroll and you don't get hit with the luxury tax.    

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I heard from someone that we could be after Oakland pitchers.  Not sure anyone else is worth it outside of Montas.

Blackburn?  Maybe??

Woukd think Montas would be expensive (trade wise) and he has some shoulder inflammation, so not sure he would be the best target.

I like Blackburn. He shouldn’t cost much. My concern with him is how much will he help this year he’s already threw a career high 91 innings.

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I’d argue that Snell has been better this year and I’d certainly take him going forward over Bumgarner. 

You kid right? Bumgarner has 18 start averaging just over 5 innings per with a 3.65 ERA in 91 innings.  Snell has 9 starts with 4.66 in 45 innings. So Bumgarner has pitched twice as much and been 1.01 ERA. BTW, their WHIP is nearly the same but Snells is worse. What am I missing?

Snell has more Ks but also more walks ….Ks aren’t everything 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Blackburn?  Maybe??

Interesting. Look at how many innings Cole Irvin pitched last year…

17 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Found it interesting in here it says that the Orioles would not be willing to do Snell for Santander straight up.  Seems like most people around here have been thinking the Padres turn that down. 

I wouldn’t do that deal. But I guess I am in the minority it sounds like?

14 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Odor defended himself, plain and simple. That’s what men do, when they have to. He was just quicker than Joey Bats. He literally beat him to the punch. Bautista was drawing back to strike him with a closed right fist and Roogie sent it first. Roogie was a GG boxer as a kid. He is not some thug. 

He did not hit him because of the slide, which was way late and meant to take Odor out in retaliation for getting plunked, which was in retaliation for his bat flip antics. Roogie took exception to the slide and they had words. Bautista was the instigator here.

Being better doesn’t make him the bad guy here. 

Your comments make no sense.  Read them slowly and you will see.  Also, I saw the clip again just now and whatever words they had must have taken place in a microsecond, so I think you are talking out of your arse on that assertion.

20 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Elias has said as much before the win streak.  

Trading Mancini is the only true 'sell' (maybe read as 'locking in long-term value'). I think everyone else of value is under team control. But I'm also not convinced it becomes a weakness if only 1-2 guys are traded.  Especially if Hall is an option.

Because quality pitching has an odd memory and an immense capacity for hope!  If a guy is throwing good for a few games, then it's hard to give up the hot hand (a lot like trading away talent after a winning streak and in the wildcard hunt).  Especially when the guy has a CY award on his resume (see Bumgardner).

Reds were wanting Volpe or Peraza from the Yankees.  Not sure about Montas.

If they want somebody’s 1 or 2 prospect I doubt he gets dealt. At least he won’t be coming here

9 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Found it interesting in here it says that the Orioles would not be willing to do Snell for Santander straight up.  Seems like most people around here have been thinking the Padres turn that down. 

I think the doubt is about the salary of Snell, not the trade itself.