We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

12 hours ago, forphase1 said:

We have the first pick on day 2, 81st over all.  According to MLB the 11th, Brock Porter, 46th, Tristan Smith, 57th, Malcom Moore and #60, Jonathan Cannon, are still available from the pool of players ranked in the top 60.  Like most, I think I'd love to see us take Porter, use whatever it takes to sign him, and add a top 10-15 talent at this spot at a position of need.  Realistically speaking though, looking at the Elias track record, I expect we will take a college position player, someone like #115, Nolan McLean, a 4 year sophomore 3B from Oklahoma State.  Here is a write up on him and some stats:

2021: Started 39 games – 17 at DH, 12 at second base, eight at first base and two in right field … also pitched in two games, both times in relief … had an RBI walk in collegiate debut vs. Wichita State (2/22) … smashed first-career home run vs. Illinois State (2/28) … was 3-for-4 with a homer and three RBIs vs. Missouri State (3/2) … had career-high three hits and four RBIs vs. Vanderbilt (3/14) … went 3-for-4 in that game with two homers and a double and also scored three runs … struck out two in an inning of work in debut on mound vs. TCU (4/18) … homered in NCAA Regional win over Grand Canyon (6/5).

OMG!  What a guess!

• Upvote 4

Not exactly sure what the O’s are thinking here.  Just mystified about their selections.  Higher ranked pitchers ahead of McLean and his work at 3B does not exactly inspire confidence.  Just frustrating but obviously their player board is very different than most of the analysts.  Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

Once DL Hall and Rodriguez move to the MLB team, wjo is going to be left to pitch for the Orioles? This system is going to be completely bereft of any significant pitching. It makes no sense.

People said the same thing about the major league starting rotation and bullpen heading into this season, yet here we are with a .500 record and a pitching staff featuring several waiver claims and a Rule V guy.

I'll answer your question. We're going to trade for pitching and continue to find pitchers off waivers and via cheap free agent signings. Next offseason will probably be the start of us spending more in free agency for an occasional higher-end SP than Jordan Lyles. The organization clearly has the analytics and coaching to help pitchers we acquire to improve.

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

People said the same thing about the major league starting rotation and bullpen heading into this season, yet here we are with a .500 record and a pitching staff featuring several waiver claims and a Rule V guy.

I'll answer your question. We're going to trade for pitching and continue to find pitchers off waivers and via cheap free agent signings. Next offseason will probably be the start of us spending more in free agency for an occasional higher-end SP than Jordan Lyles. The organization clearly has the analytics and coaching to help pitchers we acquire to improve.

That's all well and good if the franchises goal is to compete for a wild card spot, but to legitimately be able to compete for a World Series title, high end SP is an essential

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

OMG!  What a guess!

C'mon....are you sure you didn't see his pitch data from those two relief appearances?   This is science...it only needed a dozen fastballs.

To the extent I've wondered stuff like "if you want to throw 100 in your late 20's, don't pitch in your adolescence" and the relative life paths of humans like Dylan Bundy, Nick Bitsko, Mychal Givens, Kenley Jansen and Jacob deGrom, he'll be a test case I have a lot of curiosity to see how it turns out.