We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

I don’t have a problem with the strategy of drafting heavily towards position players. Actually, I completely agree with it…pitchers are harder to predict MLB success. But at some point fairly early in the draft it becomes a crap shoot, and going best player available is just stubborn. Time to load up on pitchers. 

11 minutes ago, seak05 said:

They’ve saved a few hundred thousand at 1, and the extra pool money is several hundred thousand so they have maybe 1.2m extra to play with. I don’t think that gets you Porter, unless you also go way under with the entire rest of your draft. That’s a big risk.

I think you maybe sign a few guys to over slot, but more in the range baumler and Mayo range with that savings (and keep in mind Wagner might be one of those guys).

I think it’s fair to question the draft strategy in terms of who they took, while also acknowledging it’s not money saving.

They absolutely have more than 1.2M.  They will save 500k, Give or take, on Holliday and they have the extra 825K.  That alone is 1.2 and they can sign the picks in r4-r10 for way less,  they probably have at least 2M extra they can play with and perhaps more.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, I know SportsGuy would say to take Porter and punt the rest of the draft and their is some merit to that IF you like Porter.   

Right..you have to like him.  Maybe the Os don’t and I think there are valid reasons for that.  But if they do, they shouldn’t let the price tag stop them.  You get your guy.

5 minutes ago, sevastras said:

When you draft need over BPA, you end up with Matusz instead of Buster Posey.  Although, they did pick up Caleb Joseph later in the draft, so maybe the Os won that draft. (Spoiler- they didn’t. SF picked right behind them and ended up with better players)

I of course agree but at some point is it fair to question if the O's model is accurately picking the BPA or if it has a bias against certain types of players?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I of course agree but at some point is it fair to question if the O's model is accurately picking the BPA or if it has a bias against certain types of players?

This year in particular is a position player heavy year. Look at all of the picks so far overall. 
31 of 80 picks have been pitchers and 9 of them went first round. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is year four.  This has reached recognizable pattern stage.

I don’t disagree, I was just pointing out it has been a top heavy position player year. 
I also don’t care if they pick all position players early or if their computer preferences them over pitchers.  
They seem to be pretty good at relievers and can trade surplus position players for starter help that is further along then drafted players. It appears as though there may be a solid team coming together in the next year and of course they all won’t work out but if you trade Mullins and Santander, you have players coming up that can replace them.  Let’s say Westburg and Henderson are both good and Holliday turns into a stud. One of Westburg or Henderson can be traded. 

I did notice the second-best pitcher's write-up on the MLB Day 2 preview link compared him to DL Hall.

With the super wall, if we ever get around to high-value pitchers, might we skew LHP as much as LHB?

It will be interesting to see the LHB/RHB home run splits for new Camden...not hard to imagine the park still landing at like 98 or something, but it getting there by 70 for RHB and 125 for LHB.

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would be for him in R4.

Let's assume there isn't going to be an overslot at 81.  They've drafted tools so far, with power being the common denominator.  So here, do you go with best college starter available which is probably a guy with mid rotation ceiling, a HS player who isn't highly regarded, or a relief pitcher who might bust but has a plus plus fastball and a plus plus slider.  I say, why not.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Then they should have taken him.  I guess the first 2 guys were higher on their board.  I respect that if they truly went BPA.

We both know they think they are smarter than everyone else and bpa is not their strategy:) I am just thankful we got Holiday and not someone like Berry.