07/26/22 Roster Moves: Terrin Vavra is called up from Norfolk (MLB debut) and Arauz to the IL

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I just don’t get the outrage over this. 

They didn’t call him up to replace Odor he was called up to be a utility player. That is his role.  

Yep. And long term that is going to be is role as well, at least until other players ahead of him start to underperform 

Where's that poll that asked who's going to be the next Oriole to start 100 games at 2b.  Pretty sure we're closing in on 100 games of Odor at 2b.  Has Odor played anywhere else than 2b?  It's great to have a utility player who plays one position.  I'm going to assume Odor will be here all year unless some team actually trades something of value for him.  The Yankees really liked him, maybe they'll trade for him as a team cheerleader. 

7 hours ago, Number5 said:

It didn't really happen the way the movie showed.  Pena was traded to Detroit during the off-season.

Sure.    I actually feel Elias was enough of a ballplayer-scout before turning hedge fund manager that my guess is he isn't dying over Vavra sitting as much as some of us.     To the extent Vavra is behind Urias-Mateo-Gunnar-Westburg for starting jobs anytime soon, I don't think he's ever going to get that regular run to help him be effective in the couple days a week Orsulak role I think the team has in mind for him.

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Sure.    I actually feel Elias was enough of a ballplayer-scout before turning hedge fund manager that my guess is he isn't dying over Vavra sitting as much as some of us.     To the extent Vavra is behind Urias-Mateo-Gunnar-Westburg for starting jobs anytime soon, I don't think he's ever going to get that regular run to help him be effective in the couple days a week Orsulak role I think the team has in mind for him.

That also doesn't bode well long term for Mateo. Playing the Utility guy 4 games a week sounds great on paper but it's tough if you think the starters are actually better. Vavra has a bit of an advantage being lefty except in this case the starter at his best position is lefty. After they pinch ran McKenna I was 60% certain he'd at least get some defense reps but then Nevin came out at 3rd. His best bet for ABs may be to give Hays/Santander/Mountcastle a day of rest.

Maybe Vavra isn't going to develop into an everyday starter. 

However, how are we supposed to figure that out if he never plays!

Odor had a double last night so might as well pencil him in for the next month. Freaking Rob Deer Jr. 

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Maybe Vavra isn't going to develop into an everyday starter. 

However, how are we supposed to figure that out if he never plays!

Odor had a double last night so might as well pencil him in for the next month. Freaking Rob Deer Jr. 

Rob Deer walked occasionally.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Rob Deer walked occasionally.

Second time this month I’ve had to point out that Rob Deer had a 13.8 rWAR career.   Way, way better than Odor.  Trey Mancini might top 13.8 for his career, or might not (10.0 now).   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Second time this month I’ve had to point out that Rob Deer had a 13.8 rWAR career.   Way, way better than Odor.  Trey Mancini might top 13.8 for his career, or might not (10.0 now).   

Yeah. 

I know Odor has come through in big spots occasionally this year... but... he's just not a very dynamic guy. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

10 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I just don’t get the outrage over this. 

They didn’t call him up to replace Odor he was called up to be a utility player. That is his role.  

Yes, it's clear that is what the Orioles did. Some of us don't think that's the best way to use him when you have a replacement level player playing his position. It's not the end of the world, the Orioles are winning, but they should have brought up Martin instead of Vavra to sit the bench since Vavra is the better prospect.

Hyde loves himself some Odor and the team is winning. Ok, great, play him every day, but it still won't change the record of when he plays vs doesn't play. 

How good could this team be if they had an average second baseman vs a replacement level player? 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

But do you increase Vavra's potential trade value by sitting him on a major league bench or by playing him at 2B and seeing if he can improve? Vavra is probably not a major league regular with the Orioles due to their infield depth, but he could be for someone and everything about these prospects once they are done being developed is about increasing their trade value.

And they STILL need to find a way to keep Odor in the lineup AND bat him 6th!?

Starting Vavra is nice to see, but to bench Mountcastle to keep Odor in the lineup? And no Mateo? Our infield defense is not very good today.  Its been a few games since we put our best line up out there