4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Sell:

Mateo, promote Henderson.

Mancini, promote Stowers

Santander, promote Cowser

Lyles, promote Bradish

DFA:

Odor, promote Westburg.

Promote Hall and Harvey to fill pitching gaps.

No chance this happens, but not sure why not other than slow playing the rebuild.

Other than completely throwing in the towel on 2022, it wouldn't be realistic to promote Cowser after less than 100 at bats in Double A. 

I'm not against any of the other moves necessarily other than Mateo who I think has more value to us in the future and can be developed into a better player than he already is.  I'm not sure what his trade value is right now, but we would almost definitely be selling low. 

Whether or not you move a guy like Santander depends completely on the return.  He's a solid regular with two more years of control after this one.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Other than completely throwing in the towel on 2022, it wouldn't be realistic to promote Cowser after less than 100 at bats in Double A. 

I'm not against any of the other moves necessarily other than Mateo who I think has more value to us in the future and can be developed into a better player than he already is.  I'm not sure what his trade value is right now, but we would almost definitely be selling low. 

Whether or not you move a guy like Santander depends completely on the return.  He's a solid regular with two more years of control after this one.  

Even if you are throwing in the towel, I don't think promoting Cowser is realistic. Elias won't skip AAA and if you are throwing in the towel, there's no point in adding him to the 40-man or starting his clock. I agree on Mateo as well. He's so fun to watch. Even if he's a utility guy in the future, he's still got value to us (and I'm not sure what his value is externally). That all said, I would deal him if you get a nice offer. 

3 hours ago, Mizerooskie said:

Sell Mancini, Odor, Lyles for farm system depth to replenish some of the package you put together for Soto 😀.

I'm only half-kidding...I think.

I know you're joking, but the Nats are requesting a package of 5 top prospects or young major leaguers.  I think whatever team trades for Soto is going to regret it based on how much they give up.

With Wells hitting the IL, we would have to find a way to keep winning with Lyles, Watkins, Kremer, Voth, and probably Bradish.  Maybe Bradish can get hot. Maybe Harvey can come up throw Lyles or Voth like innings. 

With this Bullpen, I think they O's might have a chance even with avg SP, especially if they can get to Sept and expanded rosters.

I really don't want to see Elias trade any premium talent for an arm either.  If I'm Elias, I am probably setting up a bunch of potential deals and seeing how these next 3 and the 1st game against Texas go. If we win 3 or 4, he probably buys a pitcher and holds everyone else.  If we lose 2 or 3, he might trade off 3 or 4 guys.

18 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

With Wells hitting the IL, we would have to find a way to keep winning with Lyles, Watkins, Kremer, Voth, and probably Bradish.  Maybe Bradish can get hot. Maybe Harvey can come up throw Lyles or Voth like innings. 

With this Bullpen, I think they O's might have a chance even with avg SP, especially if they can get to Sept and expanded rosters.

I really don't want to see Elias trade any premium talent for an arm either.  If I'm Elias, I am probably setting up a bunch of potential deals and seeing how these next 3 and the 1st game against Texas go. If we win 3 or 4, he probably buys a pitcher and holds everyone else.  If we lose 2 or 3, he might trade off 3 or 4 guys.

I strongly doubt that decisions affecting a multi-year rebuild will in any way depend on the outcome of a handful of games like that. 

Elias won't base long term decisions on a small sample size like that.   At all.   Anything can happen in baseball, the Nats just won two games in a row at Dodger Stadium a couple days ago.   That sample size means nothing and a GM basing any kind of longterm decision on the outcome of a handful of baseball games should probably be fired.

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Oh, it’s not realistic. Not at all. 

As an aside, I think Mateo’s trade value is at a peak right now. The question is whether his hitting has truly taken a sustainable turn for the better. 

I’m guessing Mateo has very little trade value.  Maybe as a second or third piece in a deal for an established starter.  That’s about the best case scenario.  

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Sell:

Mateo, promote Henderson.

Mancini, promote Stowers

Santander, promote Cowser

Lyles, promote Bradish

DFA:

Odor, promote Westburg.

Promote Hall and Harvey to fill pitching gaps.

No chance this happens, but not sure why not other than slow playing the rebuild.

You forget trade high on Lopez

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m guessing Mateo has very little trade value.  Maybe as a second or third piece in a deal for an established starter.  That’s about the best case scenario.  

I don't know, he's 2.1 WAR right now, controllable.

39 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I don't know, he's 2.1 WAR right now, controllable.

Defense/run prevention and base running aren’t valued as highly as offense. That would seem to be why a good percentage of this Board would like to get rid of Mateo.

I see people want to promote Westburg who has a 26.3% strike out rate, 4.2% walk rate, 58 wRC+, and .600 OPS in AAA (with a .274 BABIP) since June 26. That doesn’t seem like an upgrade to me.

I like Westburg’s defense at second more than at short, and still think Gunnar profiles better at third, but can handle short now if necessary. Not all of these guys are going to work out and I’m not putting my chips on Westburg. I’m inclined to let Mateo play out the year because he could easily be the Orioles starting SS until Holliday is ready. 

Edited by Sydnor
  • Upvote 1