The waiver wire guys

Frobby

Don't forget the waiver wire pick-ups that put in a good season or two for the Orioles before being released or traded away, such as Hanser Alberto (Jan. '19) and Cole Sulser (Oct. '19).

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hallas said:

We can afford the playoff tickets now.  They don't cost anything when you don't go to the playoffs.

In all seriousness, I've been able to go to two O's playoff games for $100 each from Stubhub.  The seats were in the top row of the upper deck, but they were worth every penny (especially the Delmon Young game)!  

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

In all seriousness, I've been able to go to two O's playoff games for $100 each from Stubhub.  The seats were in the top row of the upper deck, but they were worth every penny (especially the Delmon Young game)!  

I was 1 row behind home plate behind the owners seats for that game. Worth every penny. 

One thing to keep in mind is that these 9 members of the 25 man roster came to us because we were at the head of the waiver wire/ rule 5 line.  That avenue to players is now closed.  

Many other members of the 25 man roster came to us because we were picking very high in the first and second rounds of the MLB draft.  That avenue to players is now poorer by a player a year.

Now we are living in another world, which is where the perennial  superior teams live.  We are going to have to live a bit on our backlog in our well stocked farm system,,, live quite a bit on more risky high ceiling draft picks in lower rounds,,,, make use of our upgraded international organization, and  do sensible trades of some of our high end performers.  ,,  I think the casual, come-lately-back fans are not going to understand that.

• Upvote 1

It's really just the benefit of having such a low talent level that you had roster spots open to take flyers on almost anyone. Good teams have way less roster room, and obviously lower priority, to take on castoffs and failed prospects.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s funny how quickly this has turned around because his waiver wire pickups gave us nothing for a while.

Yes, I made that point in the OP.   Hansen Alberto was about the only guy who provided any value in the first year or two, and even he was non-tendered eventually.