Trey Mancini Traded to the Astros

RVAOsFan

Sharing a perspective from astute Fangraphs commenter sadtrombone.

sadtrombonemember
 40 minutes ago

IMO this is the O’s and Astros doing a great job of taking advantage of a desperate outfield situation and the fact that there appear to be no center fielders anywhere. Win, win, and…we’ll maybe we should grade on a curve for the Rays. It’s a real bad hand they got dealt.

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm normally on board with calling the O's cheap but you have to make that trade.

Absolutely, Johnson is the third best pitching prospect in the system behind GrayRod and Hall now, and he immediately slots into the top 10 of one of the best farm systems in the game. I would have probably been fine just getting him for 2 months of Mancini, but we also got another pitcher with legitimate upside. 

Elias would have been a fool to pass on that deal.

39 minutes ago, Natty said:

As for the benefit to the Orioles...we saved a little money. 

Okay, Buster... 🙄

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyone who thinks we're a real contender this year, please see Odor batting 5th on this team. lol

Really, there’s really no reason he should be getting any playing time.   Whenever he plays, the O’s are not fielding their best lineup.  Any combination of Westburg, Vavra, Urias, and Henderson manning 2nd and 3rd would likely be a big upgrade. Heck, having Ritchie Martin play second would make more sense.  I really don’t get it.

4 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Really, there’s really no reason he should be getting any playing time.   Whenever he plays, the O’s are not fielding their best lineup.  Any combination of Westburg, Vavra, Urias, and Henderson manning 2nd and 3rd would likely be a big upgrade. Heck, having Ritchie Martin play second would make more sense.  I really don’t get it.

Truth, every bit of this.  

21 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Odor is the only real thing that angers me about the team this year. Him batting 5th tonight is preposterous. He's truly one of the worst regulars in baseball. And we have him batting 5th. He should be DFA'd, not starting regularly at 2B.

Vavra's last two at bats (walk in the 9th yesterday and the infield hit today) were two of the best at bats by anyone on the Orioles this season outside of Adley. I want to see more of that. ASAP.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Anyone who thinks we're a real contender this year, please see Odor batting 5th on this team. lol

Also do the math on what the Orioles starting rotation would look like in the ALDS or ALCS. Team is greatly improved, but it's not quite there to be a legit contender. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
spelling

55 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

I don’t really understand why we are viewing Vavra as a future starting infielder on this team.  He was splitting time between OF and IF in the minors and since he has been called up he has been in the OF and DH. I think they see something in his bat and speed but obviously his IF defense must be questionable or we would have seen him there by now.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don’t really understand why we are viewing Vavra as a future starting infielder on this team.

I think the point is that we are talking about Vavra in comparison to Odor this year.  Odor is below replacement level, and even his advanced defensive metrics show him as below average.  He is literally bringing nothing to the table.  Personally, I’d like to see Henderson called up to play 3rd and have Urias at 2nd.