Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

25 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Phillips has posted a .400+ SLG vs. RHPs in his career, including a .244/.337/.533 line with 12 HRs in 208 PAs last year. Combined with his stellar CF defense, speed, and baserunning (36 for 41 for his career in SB attempts, including 14 last year), and a platoon partner that hits well against lefties, that could hypothetically be a pretty decent placeholder arrangement in center for a year or two if we trade Mullins for starting pitching this winter.

Can we fix him? Who knows, but there's only one way to find out, and Elias apparently wants to give it a shot over the next month and change.

They didnt platoon for Phillips last night. He faced a Lefty, for reasons unknown. Im not sure why Hyde didnt pinch hit. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. 

22 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

They didnt platoon for Phillips last night. He faced a Lefty, for reasons unknown. Im not sure why Hyde didnt pinch hit. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. 

Not sure. Maybe gathering some data on him, seeing what he does. Maybe he has good numbers against that LHP, or maybe against that profile. Or maybe he talks so much they just wanted him away from the bench as much as possible…🤣

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I am gonna at least try to wait and to complain about roster and lineup until such time as Elias's team is no longer undefeated.   After the completion of the morale crushing, playoff contention ending deadline trading.  

Who said two wrongs don’t make a right?  They didn’t know what they were talking about!

It is kind of funny how much people are criticizing the GM of the biggest surprise team in MLB.   I don’t particularly get the logic of keeping Odor and acquiring Phillips, but I’m not losing any sleep over it.   I’m just enjoying the W’s.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

There are improvements he can make mechanically. It looks like they already made some adjustments with him prior to yesterday’s game his hands were higher, and he was more balanced. Solid line drive he stretched into a double last night. Needs some work on recognition and decisions, and really needs to get stronger.

Its sad to me to read all of the negative trash in this thread. Some of you hate every move Elias makes. And it is your right. But then it works out, and you’re like…”Oh, I didn’t know that.” Phillips has been a solid bench/role player on a good Rays team for a few years now. A lot of playoff experience.

I get you want Stowers. Elias wants Stowers to work out too. He’s not ready yet. Elias takes a low cost flier on a guy with some tools and experience and so many of our fans act like little kids and trash the guy. Did you see what the Yankees have done with Matt Carpenter? He was “done” too. What about Chris Taylor, Mundy and Justin Turner with the Dodgers? This board is not Twitter. 

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I know it’s not unusual for ML players to rake when they get sent down to AAA but Brett Phillips was so awful and lost this year that I think it’s worth noting that he has an OPS well over 1.000 and 14 walks to 13 strikeouts along with 3 homers.  He’s a little bit like Mateo.  If he could hit .250, he could really be something.   He was a 2 WAR player in 117 games in 2021.   His defense would be a nice fit in LF.   Just saying.  We might not have seen the last of Brett Phillips.   

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I know it’s not unusual for ML players to rake when they get sent down to AAA but Brett Phillips was so awful and lost this year that I think it’s worth noting that he has an OPS well over 1.000 and 14 walks to 13 strikeouts along with 3 homers.  He’s a little bit like Mateo.  If he could hit .250, he could really be something.   He was a 2 WAR player in 117 games in 2021.   His defense would be a nice fit in LF.   Just saying.  We might not have seen the last of Brett Phillips.   

A plan B if were to trade Mullins. We just have so many COF options. We need offense at this point. Phillips can be a contributor on a winning team. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd be happy to offer him a minor league contract with an invite to spring training next year in the hopes he can figure out his problems this offseason. But I would not offer him a major league contract or take up a 40-man roster spot with him.

What if the Orioles think they figured out his problem already?  I was watching the rewind of last nights game.  Obviously, it’s AAA pitching but you should take a look.   The swing looks good.  

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What if the Orioles think they figured out his problem already?  I was watching the rewind of last nights game.  Obviously, it’s AAA pitching but you should take a look.   The swing looks good.  

I'm sure his agent will try and find him a major league contract. Maybe the Orioles will be able to find room if they really think he's part of their 2023 team, but a hot streak in AAA is probably not going to be enough for a major league deal from the Orioles. I would not despite the fact that I love his defense and speed. 

There are worse options to have in AAA next year. I doubt he gets an MLB contract, I would be glad to bring him back on a minor league contract with opt outs if another MLB team comes calling.

As I said when he initially got to Norfolk, if the Orioles do make the playoffs I fully expect him to be on the roster for that 3 game wild card series, because they aren't going to need a 13 or even 12-man pitching staff and as a late-game defensive replacement and pinch runner, there is nobody better.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1