Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

There's a lot of jumping to conclusions about what this means for the rest of the roster/plan. Seems to me just like acquiring a depth piece for no cost of talent. A chance to be an upgrade in the McKenna role for a contending 2023 team, and no real downside otherwise. Why are we mad?

• Upvote 2

I don’t know what’s so hard to understand. He is going to platoon with McKenna. Send Diaz back down for regular AB’s. Santander now takes over Mancini role as DH. This guy is made for our left field and with Hays in right will be by far the best fielding OF in baseball. Very low risk deal which is reminiscent of Mateo to me. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

DFA sent to minors candidate? Can he refuse?

I get picking him up off waivers to DFA him to the minors and hope he clears, but the Orioles traded cash considerations to get him (implying that they thought someone before them in the waiver order would pick him up otherwise). Obviously we don't know how much cash considerations, but I don't see why they trade for him and then waive him. 

This doesn't make any sense. If they send down McKenna for him, then fine. It's at best a pointless move (replacing McKenna with Phillips) and at worse a bad one (preventing Stowers--or even Diaz--from getting playing time). 

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?team_ID=HOU&year_ID=2012&draft_type=junreg&query_type=franch_year

Eureka.     Phillips part of Rio Ruiz's 2012 Astros draft class of course.

Finally makes a little sense. Elias never forget the guys he drafted no matter how bad they play. 

Seriously, I don't really get this. I guess McKenna of Diaz go down? Seems like Elias is trying to control Stowers clock. 

9 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I don’t know what’s so hard to understand. He is going to platoon with McKenna. Send Diaz back down for regular AB’s. Santander now takes over Mancini role as DH. This guy is made for our left field and with Hays in right will be by far the best fielding OF in baseball. Very low risk deal which is reminiscent of Mateo to me. 

Because neither one of them can hit and they're both 4th/5th outfielders at best?

Vavra should be getting everyday PAs against right-handers, not Phillips.

• Upvote 1