Elias speaks from Texas

seak05

1 hour ago, EdwinRip said:

Callis also has Kevin Smith at 18 and Diaz at 25.  I wouldn’t put much stock into these mid season team lists, especially after the team’s top 10.

Callis has not added the 2022 draft class yet.  There will be some adjustments coming  soon I expect.

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because no one could have thought that.

Its not realistic to believe this group of arms would be this good.

Im sure he believed that last years team wasn’t as bad as the record was and I’m sure he felt with Adley and others coming up, the talent would be better.  I’d bet he realistically felt there would be a 10-20 game improvement and, let’s face it, we basically all felt that way.

But a borderline contender?  A 500 team?  No way he believed that.

And how can you claim that "no one" could have thought that? Surely there were optimists who believed that the O's might shock all of the pundits. 

Again, unless you have some mind reading device that can tell you what Elias believed, you're just speculating. It's reasonable and informed speculation, but speculation still. 

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

And how can you claim that "no one" could have thought that? Surely there were optimists who believed that the O's might shock all of the pundits. 

Again, unless you have some mind reading device that can tell you what Elias believed, you're just speculating. It's reasonable and informed speculation, but speculation still. 

Ok great.  I tend to believe Elias is smarter than some fanboy who only see the 90% outcome.  

Fair enough. I personally didn't expect the O's to be in the mix for a WC spot. I was just hoping for interesting storylines, incremental improvement, and seeing top prospects get promoted and perform well. So much will need to go right for the O's to make the playoffs. But I'm enjoying the ride.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

But what is the plan?  I mean, I thought the plan was to build a consistent winner.  This year, they are WINNING!  They have an excellent farm system.  They have a ton of payroll flexibility.  

Is trading Lopez really helping with that long term plan?  Is it really crucial to add the players they did while hurting the team?  

It’s pretty easy to find these types of arms.  I mean, you can argue that the Phillies gave up as good, if not a better arm than Povich, for David Robertson.  These guys are always readily available.

Acquiring them isn’t some byproduct of rebuilding or anything else.  You likely could have just drafted 3 arms like Povich.  

I’m not saying he is some worthless player or that the package is filled with worthless players but i keep thinking that the point of being a GM is to win and here you are, winning, and you are going to trade a big reason why for guys who can’t help you for at least 2 years and quite frankly are likely to never help you.  

In starting to really wonder what Elias values here.  Is it winning or is it building a farm system.  Right now, it’s building a farm system.  That’s obvious.  Winning isn’t the priority in 2022.  He isn’t bringing up better players.  He still has bad players on the roster getting real playing time.  

They didn’t go out and get anyone.  Elias claims they tried but they failed.  Failure is all that matters.  Trying means nothing.  His recent quote is, they will try to sign players.  How reassuring is that to you guys?  

Ownership is in shambles.  Do we really think they are going to bring in anyone that matters?  He is all of a sudden going to start taking away from his precious farm system?  

I trust Elias ….he’s been good on what he says. He said they are done.

I don’t know what the price Tag wax or who they went after. I said I thought Quintana is similar to Cashner performance history wise. We got two DSL prospects. They might’ve been asking for Hall.

I don’t trust anything Angelos when it comes to spending money.

10 hours ago, osfan83 said:

What do you think Fan Graphs % to make the playoffs for the Orioles will be for 2023? If it's less than 10% in April do we go for it, or continue to build the farm system? 

How can we know? It depends what we add.I assume our SP with be worth more with a little history under their belt. I think Elias said they are done building. Do you have any reason based on what he’s said to not believe it. I don’t think he cares what fangraphs thinks. He has his own evaluation team. But, they hopefully don’t dig a deep hole to start the season. I think the % would be much higher if that’s not the case.

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

With Grayson, DL Hall, and Means the rotation should be better. Still significant holes elsewhere. It's going to depend on the prospects stepping up.

I do think it is starting to look optimistic.

Not trying to get too excited but Vavra looks for real early. We have 4 or 5 guys killing it in the minors at AAA. My concern is enough pitching but I have faith in Kremer and Bradish. Also you didn’t even member Wells.Plus Hopefully Rodriquez sees a few starts in September. Hall needs to right his ship as he’s been shaky lately and Elias was challenging him to be more consistent before that. Means may be back but the dominant guy is probably not back until 2024. 

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And Elias didn’t put together this team thinking it would win this year.  

14 hours ago, Jagwar said:

And you know Elias believe that ... how? Just because you don't think the team wasn't put together to win doesn't mean Elias didn't think that.  

SG is right, because Elias pretty much said just that during the interview in Texas:

“ I knew that anything is possible when your team is young and talented, and I knew that something like this team coming together the way it has this season was possible. But it definitely wasn’t something that we were banking on happening.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-on-trade-deadline-wild-card-chase-and-more

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

SG is right, because Elias pretty much said just that during the interview in Texas:

“ I knew that anything is possible when your team is young and talented, and I knew that something like this team coming together the way it has this season was possible. But it definitely wasn’t something that we were banking on happening.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-on-trade-deadline-wild-card-chase-and-more

Possible vs Banking. All semantics 😉

On 8/4/2022 at 7:31 PM, Satyr3206 said:

With Grayson, DL Hall, and Means the rotation should be better. Still significant holes elsewhere. It's going to depend on the prospects stepping up.

I do think it is starting to look optimistic.

And how much better would this rotation look if we sign a legit TOR vet to go with these young guys. Which I'm sure is what Elias is thinking too. Exciting indeed. 

2 hours ago, ManciniFan said:

Gathering some info and trying to process…

GM trades closer and team leader.

GM travels to convey message that despite those moves, he is committed to the wildcard run.

GM doesn’t promote Gunnar nor Stowers.

Am I missing something?

Yeah, team goes on winning streak anyway.