Shortstops, shortstops everywhere

Frobby

Just now, foxfield said:

I agree with this.  I saw him play in person last year.  And saw him make two errors.  But on both of the balls, my son and I both thought the Orioles didn't have another SS who would have even gotten to the balls in the first place.  The tools shined...and he has definitely taken a step forward.  Let's see the second half of the season.  In the meantime, he has certainly earned the spot for now.

He provided very little in his ML time, except that he did show those same tools that he is using more effectively this season.  Will that continue.  I don't know. But if it does, it does go down as an extraordinary waiver wire claim.  And if it does not, it still provides a ton of help and has made it easier for our pitchers to exceed expectations too.  If the second half of the season looks more like his minor league time...then he still provided great value for the rebuild.   And I for one am thrilled to raise the bar for anyone coming to get that position.

I’m saying it’s not amazing that he was available.  Players like him are available all the time..failed high prospects that once had a good ceiling.  

9 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Mateo is going to be a star  .. he is going to hit better and better .. 

He just brings an intensity to his game that says star quality stuff 

I’m not sure, but he is certainly very good. I want to believe he will be. He has improved tremendously in all facets. Many here point to the fact that he has not done it so far in his career. It’s true. But, he has never had an opportunity to play SS everyday in the majors. Never. He is developing, but those swing decisions are still lacking. 

I will say that he has had a major part in the defensive improvement of this much more competitive team. That obviously helps the pitching. The DP he started last night helped Tate get out of the jam he inherited. The ball he picked was mashed to his right, the slick back hand pick, the transition and throw was crisp, smooth and accurate. He makes plays like that regularly. I have never seen any Orioles SS make those kinds of plays. He is special. He changes games regularly. 

He has all the tools and he appears focused and driven. I wouldn’t bet against him. 

It becomes the Rays model.  When they get expensive you trade them for young players your Organization lacks depth at.  Peak age for male athletes is 27/28.  You give a +/- of 3 years.  No more long term contract last for players over 31. Stay young and flexible with payroll.  And injury insurance is always a positive.  

1 minute ago, csgordos said:

It becomes the Rays model.  When they get expensive you trade them for young players your Organization lacks depth at.  Peak age for male athletes is 27/28.  You give a +/- of 3 years.  No more long term contract last for players over 31. Stay young and flexible with payroll.  And injury insurance is always a positive.  

Key component to the Rays' model is early extensions.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

Nice assessment except for saying  he did't look special last year.  I thought he did.  The arm, the range.  We just didn't get to see it a SS that much.

I wasn’t very impressed with Mateo’s defense last year.  I thought he was quite erratic, and awkward on DP opportunities.  Of course, it was only 29 games, and he toggled between SS and 2B with a little OF mixed in.  This year it’s been strictly SS and he’s shown what he can do.