Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

interloper

Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/22 at 17:26

I voted no. I can see either side: the 40-man roster crunch, and the idea that he comes up in September and starts opening day on the team to make a ROY run and net a draft pick. My guess is Elias finds the former to be more important. My hope is the latter.

My main point against leaving him down is that he would also be down for the first month in 2023 for service time considerations, and when he comes up, there's likely an adjustment period like there was with Adley (and others), so that could be 1.5-2 months lost. That hurts the team a lot in a year where they're trying to make the playoffs.

Question for you guys that are up to speed on roster rules:  Is Henderson a guy that would have to be added to the 40-man roster prior to the rule 5 draft?  If he's a guy that won't be at risk if he isn't added, I think that increases the odds of him not being called up this season.  If he has to be added to the 40-man to be rule 5 protected, I think that would increase the odds of him being called up - most likely at a time where his 2023 rookie status would still be intact.

I voted Yes.

I still haven't learned or seen published the incentives this CBA of the precise extra picks...believe Comp A would be about twice the carrot of Comp B.     Adley's injury muddied the water how they would have analyzed those cross-pressures with him.     Grayson's 2 spring innings strongly suggests anything about him was lip service.

I don't believe the back of the Orioles 40-man roster is good enough to care about Guy 40 vs. the benefit to the 2023 team of Henderson seeing his first ~125 plate appearances worth of MLB pitches.   Such experience I think improves the odds of him earning a bonus pick next year.

It'll be a discouraging signal for the offseason if they don't let him start seeing what he can only see in real life in MLB.    I don't know how good the virtual reality toys are though, and do hope the Orioles are on the cutting edge of equipping their Bats with those kind of training tools.

In terms of not messing with the juju of the roster's current makeup, one of 2B Odor or 3B Urias or DH Vavra is I feel a good bet to have an August that is underwhelming enough none of the 26 guys winning left and right right now will be able to be too upset at the tryout.    We've also been fortunate YTD with the starting nine Bats, which may or may not keep the last two months.   If Vavra can genuinely flex IF/OF, then Gunnar could be the replacement for anyone but Adley.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

Question for you guys that are up to speed on roster rules:  Is Henderson a guy that would have to be added to the 40-man roster prior to the rule 5 draft?  If he's a guy that won't be at risk if he isn't added, I think that increases the odds of him not being called up this season.  If he has to be added to the 40-man to be rule 5 protected, I think that would increase the odds of him being called up - most likely at a time where his 2023 rookie status would still be intact.

He does not have to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason. I don't think that should stop them from adding him some time on or after August 23rd.

18 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He does not have to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason. I don't think that should stop them from adding him some time on or after August 23rd.

A lot of folks presume that he won't be added because he doesn't have to be, and based on Elias' track record of service time manipulation. Which is a fine enough point, but I certainly hope we didn't hire a GM who is incapable of nuance and adjustment depending on the circumstances. I think Elias is too smart to stick to one track like that for every player. And his comments suggest that he's about to adjust pretty severely in the weeks and months ahead. He mentioned both "reinforcements" from the farm and of course a desire to spend this off season. 

That's what ultimately gives me hope we see Gunnar this year. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

On 8/5/2022 at 9:43 AM, Sports Guy said:

If you don’t call him up this year, he’s not going to be on the OD roster.  So, you saying that you will start the 2023 season with an inferior roster as you try to make the playoffs. 

That is completely unacceptable.  I think he should be up now but if you want to wait on the 45 day thing, so be it.  But get him up here and get his feet wet.  Let him see that pitching and see what it’s like to be in the majors.  

Could someone clarify what is meant by "45 day threshold"?

Just now, casadeozo said:

Could someone clarify what is meant by "45 day threshold"?

Within 45 days of service time, they stand the possibility of joking their rookie status.  By doing that, it’s possible that they keep their rookie status for draft pick reason per the new rules of the CBA and if they finish high enough, they net your team a draft pick.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Within 45 days of service time, they stand the possibility of joking their rookie status.  By doing that, it’s possible that they keep their rookie status for draft pick reason per the new rules of the CBA and if they finish high enough, they net your team a draft pick.

So to clarify if he was brought up in a week (or apps 45 days before the end of the season) it would allow him to still maintain rookie status for OD 2023 and be eligible for end of year awards and potential draft picks?

15 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

So to clarify if he was brought up in a week (or apps 45 days before the end of the season) it would allow him to still maintain rookie status for OD 2023 and be eligible for end of year awards and potential draft picks?

Yes..but as Frobby pointed out, it’s not just days, it’s at bats, which is 130.  

Barring a collapse by the Os or a horrible slump by Henderson, I would be shocked if he’s not up before 9/1.

I feel the same about Hall and Stowers.

I could see them holding back on Westburg if he doesn’t have to go to the 40 man this off-season.

And if contention is real, I bet they find a way to make Gray Rod eligible for the post season roster too.

Edited by LookinUp

46 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Barring a collapse by the Os or a horrible slump by Henderson, I would be shocked if he’s not up before 9/1.

I feel the same about Hall and Stowers.

I could see them holding back on Westburg if he doesn’t have to go to the 40 man this off-season.

And if contention is real, I bet they find a way to make Gray Rod eligible for the post season roster too.

Hall has had a couple straight rough starts.  Is Grayson even throwing yet? I’m doubting we see either this season. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hall has had a couple straight rough starts.  Is Grayson even throwing yet? I’m doubting we see either this season. 

Yeah, I’m assuming Hall comes around and Grayson is throwing and able to be hidden for a while. If I’m Elias, I’m allowing for the possibility of competing in the post season.