Mike Mussina’s comments on the new wall in LF

Frobby

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

My favorite O’s pitcher all time, can’t say anything bad about him. Wished he won at least one Cy Young during his time here - looking back seemed like he was robbed.

Which year would you have given him the Cy Young?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Mike Mussina gave me many many many pleasurable games and moments!  Outside of Jim Palmer, the best Os pitcher ever.  I am glad he was there tonight!! 

My bitterness toward Mussina has calmed some.   But something about him still just pisses me off.  In New York he was just another pitcher.  Not even revered.  In Baltimore if he had stayed he would be be talked about as a legend with hushed tones.  He will get nothing like that in New York.  He was never even the best pitcher on the team when he was there.  

6 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

My bitterness toward Mussina has calmed some.   But something about him still just pisses me off.  In New York he was just another pitcher.  Not even revered.  In Baltimore if he had stayed he would be be talked about as a legend with hushed tones.  He will get nothing like that in New York.  He was never even the best pitcher on the team when he was there.  

He led the Yankees in ERA several times.  But I didn’t post this thread to revisit Mussina’s career or take a referendum on his popularity with Orioles fans.  We’ve plowed that ground multiple times.  My point is simply, great pitchers don’t worry about the dimensions of their ballpark hurting their ERA.  They worry about outpitching the other guy who’s pitching in the same ballpark they are.  And Mussina did that the vast majority of the games he pitched in Camden Yards, regardless of its cozy dimensions.  To the tune of 77 wins, 41 losses.  

25 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

If I blame anyone I blame Peter Angelos 

On 8/6/2022 at 2:34 AM, now said:

Thing is, your W-L record won't be affected much. But if you care about your IP or ERA, you might seek a contract with the bigger/farther wall.

Exactly, Mussina cares about winning the game but his agent is going to care about where he pitches even if he doesn't.

36 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly, Mussina cares about winning the game but his agent is going to care about where he pitches even if he doesn't.

I believe that every team and agent are using enough advanced metrics to make park effects a non-issue when it comes to contract negotiation