Have We Reached Our High Water Mark?

WarehouseChatter

5 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

The problem with the team's offense isn't the loss of Mancini -- or, at least, that's low on the list. The main problems are Mountcastle's prolonged and deep swoon, Urias's less extreme slump. Hays' injury/unavailability/lack of production, Odor's regular presence in the lineup, giving ABs to Phillips, and the difficulty in pinch hitting for Chirinos when Adley is DHing. That's a lineup with four to five pretty big holes in it right now, just as the level of the competition ramps up. They've been scoring some runs, but against pretty bad pitching staffs (and defenses).

Against better pitching and teams competing for wildcard spots, there's a real need for some offensive reinforcements as well as improvement from the current lineup, especially Mountcastle. I think Elias acknowledged as much when he said he tried to bring in some ML talent at the deadline but didn't find an acceptable deal. (He might have been talking about starting pitching only, but the Phillips deal suggests otherwise.) It's now looking like meaningful help from the system won't happen for a while. I guess Stowers remains a possible exception, especially if Hays can't go full-out or has a setback. 

It will be quite a challenge for the current team to stay in the race without help. My guess is that happens only if the starting pitching performs well, both in innings pitched and in runs allowed, against some pretty good offenses. I'm looking forward to it, and trying to keep my expectations low.

Right, which is why losing Mancini hurts.  He's been the most consistent hitter on the team for years when the rest of the team has been so inconsistent.  Not saying they should not have traded him considering the return and it's his contract year, but I am saying I like to see the FO bring him back next year and beyond.  People act like all these prospects are a sure thing to replace Mancini's bat.  I'm not so sure when we're seeing so much injury and inconsistent hitting this season.  For once the strong point of this team is its pitching.  Losing Mancini hurts more than people want to admit -- and not just because he was a fan favorite.  

12 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Not saying they should not have traded him considering the return and it's his contract year, but I am saying I like to see the FO bring him back next year and beyond.  

I understand you admiration for Mancini, but i couldn't disagree more.  Glad Trey was an Oriole.  Having said that, I see no future for him on this team.  We have plenty of candidates for 1B, COF, and DH.  Overpaying an aging, right-handed, first baseman, that at his best was a little better than league average seems like a waste of resources and a roster spot to me.  I still believe in Mountcastle depsite his bad last month.  But, even if you don't, I think we can find better and cheaper options at 1B than committing a multi-year deal to Mancini.

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I understand you admiration for Mancini, but i couldn't disagree more.  Glad Trey was an Oriole.  Having said that, I see no future for him on this team.  We have plenty of candidates for 1B, COF, and DH.  Overpaying an aging, right-handed, first baseman, that at his best was a little better than league average seems like a waste of resources and a roster spot to me.  I still believe in Mountcastle depsite his bad last month.  But, even if you don't, I think we can find better and cheaper options at 1B than committing a multi-year deal to Mancini.

Not only that I doubt that Trey wants to return to Camden Yards

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I hope you're right, but it's not like all these strong new prospects be ready the beginning of next season.  It may be better to bring back Mancini because of his consistency and try to trade one or more of the likes of Hays, Santander or Mountcastle because of their still strong trade value but also because of their obvious flaws.  And even if the O's don't trade much this offseason Mancini still has proven to be more reliable than Hays, who can't stay healthy.  If Mancini gets a 6 year deal elsewhere then I guess don't match it -- but I'm thinking anything else less should be considered at a minimum (perhaps 4 plus an option year).  It's not like the O's don't have payroll room, and it's not like Mancini will command a huge investment.  And it's not like the O's are currently an offensive powerhouse.