Have We Reached Our High Water Mark?

WarehouseChatter

On 8/28/2022 at 11:21 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I would in no way feel let down by this team winning 85 games this season.

Let down by the team?   Of course not.  But at this point I’ll be disappointed if we win only 85 games, for a few days.   Then I’ll step back and be awed by it.  

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We have a better record than anyone in the AL Central now, which is nice.  It means even if one of Cle/Minn gets hot and passes us, it doesnt matter.  Both would have to pass us to beat us out for the wild card.

And in case you are wondering about our tiebreak vs Cleveland if Minnesota wins the Central and we tie Cleveland for the last wild card spot.   We went 3-3 against them this year.

The next tiebreak is your record in your own division.  Yes, even for wild card ties.  We are 27-29 vs the AL East, with 10 left with Toronto, 3 vs NYY, and 7 vs Boston.   Cleveland is 31-24 with 4 left with Chicago, 9 with KC, and 8 vs Minnesota.   So chances are, Cleveland would have the tiebreak with us.     Because  if we tie them, with our records being so close right now, it would mean we had a very similar record the rest of the way so it's likely we wouldn't make up 4 or 5 games in the 20/21 division games each of us has.

So in terms of tiebreaks, we lose out if tied with Seattle, Minnesota, Tampa, and probably Cleveland.   We probably win if tied with Toronto (because all we need to do is go 4-6 against them the rest of the way to win the season series, and if we fail to do that we probably ain't gonna wind up tied with them anyway).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

The next tiebreak is your record in your own division.  Yes, even for wild card ties. 

Well that's dumb.  That's like a college football tiebreak where it's an SEC team's record in the SEC vs a Mid-America Conference team's record in the Mid-America Conference. It's a great plan if you're looking to get Akron a bowl...

Edited by DrungoHazewood

33 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Well that's dumb.  That's like a college football tiebreak where it's an SEC team's record in the SEC vs a Mid-America Conference team's record in the Mid-America Conference. It's a great plan if you're looking to get Akron a bowl...

Have to have something and with the expanded playoffs they don’t want a game 163. That said you can’t control what division you play in. Would make more sense to me to use out of division AL games in this scenario. In division is fine if 2 teams from same division are tied, (of course with an odd number of games that’s not possible.)

Just need to hang around. Playing Captain Obvious here but just don’t get buried. Even if they only split the next two. At some point they will need to get hot and it’s likely at this point they need a team to fall back but I expected that anyway. 

You have a 6-2 stretch and a team you are chasing goes 3-5 you pick up 3 games in about a weeks time. 

51 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Just need to hang around. Playing Captain Obvious here but just don’t get buried. Even if they only split the next two. At some point they will need to get hot and it’s likely at this point they need a team to fall back but I expected that anyway. 

You have a 6-2 stretch and a team you are chasing goes 3-5 you pick up 3 games in about a weeks time. 

Agree with this 100%.  The old expression "don't lose the same game twice" applies here, maybe doubly-so since it was a twin bill.   

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It feels like we have after yesterday ☹️, at least in regards to our wild card race. Probably overreacted but we didn’t just get beat, we got whooped . Maybe I’m overreacting and hopefully we can get back on track.

We basically had to pitch a minor league starter and then had to rush a spot starter followed by another minor league starter.   The pitching has been good but they still lack depth.