Henderson, Hall, Westburg, and Stowers - Potential unintended consequence of the new service time rules?

BohKnowsBmore

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think it’s the fans Rob. It’s the organizations approach to the plan. They obviously aren’t going to be swayed by fans. I’m not advocating for how it’s being done. Just stating the facts for the guys with unrealistic optimism that Stowers and Hall could be called up at any moment. 

Elias chose when he traded for Phillips and his salary. In Halls case , we don’t need a 5 inning starter as the guys are all doing pretty well. When Elias said that there are guys at AAA that can help he’s talking about the RP shuttle and Harvey. An injury could force his had but that’s what it would take. It makes no sense to bring those guys up to be spectators. McKenna and Nevin are used so sparingly it’s hard to figure out what you have. It’s easy to say that Nevin is a AAAA player but he’s only gotten 200 ABs and most players need longer to adjust. McKenna has looked good but won’t play when Hays is healthy. I refuse to believe that Vavra’s defense is worse than what we saw from Odor the other night. He has limited range but is good at turning the double play.

I'm just waiting to see how many games constitutes much.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm just waiting to see how many games constitutes much.

I don’t think it matters to Elias! If there are roster moves it’s more likely shuffling the last couple of relief spots. When the roster expands it probably relief arms or one plus Harvey.

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t think it matters to Elias! If there are roster moves it’s more likely shuffling the last couple of relief spots. When the roster expands it probably relief arms or one plus Harvey.

Do you honestly believe that having Henderson sit on the bench helps this team win more games in September then having more/fresh relievers?

24 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Do you honestly believe that having Henderson sit on the bench helps this team win more games in September then having more/fresh relievers?

Nope ….I’m firmly in the belief that no matter how much crying fans do it doesn’t matter.

What I’ve stated is what I’m convinced Elias will do. There is no where to play a position player with Hyde’s preference in Odor. So Vavra is forced to DH and Santander plays rather than DH while McKenna sits. So there is really no sense in bringing up those guys. And I doubt anyone would want Nevin’s role of playing about 5 innings in 2 weeks.

Edited by Roll Tide

28 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Do you honestly believe that the #1 prospect in baseball, someone OPSing over 1.000 in the high minors at the age of 21, is just going to rot away on the bench, but having a 13th, 14th, 15th pitcher to throw an inning or two a week is going to be a difference maker?

It's a curious argument that adding arguably the best player in the organization to the roster will have little or no effect, but giving Beau Sulser six additional innings is going to be the key to the season.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

It might help the next 2 weeks if we pretend it is Spring Training and that Urias and Odor are in a battle for one job.

Probably 3 weeks, as 44 days is too many for a regular to stay under 130 at-bats.

We finish a HOU-CLE roadtrip as the calendar turns...my guess is no one fun goes out on the road.    Friday September 2nd we open a long homestand with OAK-TOR-BOS.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s say we’re 3 games up in a WC spot come 8/23… I still don’t know if Elias would call up Gunnar.   I just don’t see him risking a full season of Gunnar control for a three game WC series. That 7th season could very well be worth $30 million in salary. 

So wait a day or two. But this isn’t about a year of service time. It’s about keeping him eligible to get us a draft pick after next year.

If they ignore the playoff race so they can hold him back again next year to get another year of service time, it will be inexcusable.

On 8/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, LookinUp said:

So wait a day or two. But this isn’t about a year of service time. It’s about keeping him eligible to get us a draft pick after next year.

If they ignore the playoff race so they can hold him back again next year to get another year of service time, it will be inexcusable.

Naw, posters here will have excuses.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, posters here will have excuses.

Is valuing service time an excuse? I would prefer to retain his rookie eligibility for next year and have him on the opening day roster in the hopes of getting draft compensation, but I could also see value in retaining another year of service time. 

From Roch this AM

Shortstop Gunnar Henderson isn’t far behind, and executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias is in Rochester to watch the Tides. There’s been come cutting in line, but Hall goes first.

Apparently I had it wrong

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 10:01 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s say we’re 3 games up in a WC spot come 8/23… I still don’t know if Elias would call up Gunnar.   I just don’t see him risking a full season of Gunnar control for a three game WC series. That 7th season could very well be worth $30 million in salary. 

I think we need to change our mindset a little.  We are only a couple games over .500 overall, but we’re playing almost .600 baseball since the day Adley Rutschman arrived.   I no longer see this as, “even if we squeak into the playoffs by some miracle, we’ll be an easy out in the playoffs.”   We might be a pretty damned tough out in the playoffs.  One capable of winning a playoff series and going toe-to-toe with whoever’s left.  

Maybe I’m a little too caught up in the euphoria of the last 33 games (24-9), but I’m starting to see this team as dangerous to anyone they play.   And if they can make moves to become even more dangerous, they may be willing to do it.  The team is making its case.  That case couid look even stronger as time goes by if they keep winning.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think we need to change our mindset a little.  We are only a couple games over .500 overall, but we’re playing almost .600 baseball since the day Adley Rutschman arrived.   I no longer see this as, “even if we squeak into the playoffs by some miracle, we’ll be an easy out in the playoffs.”   We might be a pretty damned tough out in the playoffs.  One capable of winning a playoff series and going toe-to-toe with whoever’s left.  

Maybe I’m a little too caught up in the euphoria of the last 33 games (24-9), but I’m starting to see this team as dangerous to anyone they play.   And if they can make moves to become even more dangerous, they may be willing to do it.  The team is making its case.  That case couid look even stronger as time goes by if they keep winning.

24-9. Nobody wants to see Hall and Grayson in a short series. Gunnar will be here and make this lineup really tough 1-9. That’ll help the rest of the lineup.