Projected FA Salaries

ManciniFan

16 hours ago, waroriole said:

I’m not a huge fan of that DeGrom contract. The human arm wasn’t made to throw 100 MPH 100 times per game. There’s a reason he’s hardly pitched the last 3 years. 

The Mets can afford a starter who didn't pitch for over a year at $35 million or wharever he got paid, but the O's can't.

30 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Mets can afford a starter who didn't pitch for over a year at $35 million or wharever he got paid, but the O's can't.

I think we can afford a high dollar SP for two or three years while our payroll remains low. But you gotta get em on a short term deal. And you gotta make sure you're going to be going deep into the playoffs in the years he's here or else what's the point?

The dream for me would be Shohei for 3-4 years at 50 per. If there's any player in baseball that can singlehandedly increase revenue for a team, it's him. I'm sure plenty of owners feel the same about the revenue bump he'd provide so 3/150 or 4/200 is probably a low ball offer.

It's Koudai Senga btw, not Sengal, but I assume that was an auto correct. There is no L in the Japanese language. I think 4/56 might be a bit light. He's not the prospect or age that Ohtani was when he came over, but he has absolutely dominated the NPB and has the velocity to play in MLB. 

I'm curious how Senga's stuff fits into the Sig and Elias's formulas. We may be in on him. 

I would LOVE to get Verlander despite the age and having already thrown 130 innings without having any last year, he's dominating. It would be a big AAV, but with a 2 year commitment, it doesn't tie up the franchise for half a decade or more. 

That said, I realize that's not going to happen. I could see the Orioles doing Bassitt or Martin or someone of that ilk. I'd love to grab 2 guys. Put them at the top with Grayson Rodriguez, Tyler Wells and whoever wins the job from Hall, Kremer, etc. and see what happens. If anyone falters or gets injured there's depth and some added depth/upside with Means coming back later in the year. 

And for fun...

Signing Bassitt/Rodon to 3/4 year deals would give us 5 projected top 100-ish starters for the next three years.

2023:

• Rodon (#15)
  • Bassitt (#41)
  • Rodriguez (#64)
  • Means (#68)
  • Hall (#80)

2024:

• Rodon (#26)
  • Rodriguez (#50)
  • Bassitt (#66)
  • Hall (#79)
  • Means (#85)

2024:

• Rodriguez (#40)
  • Rodon (#43)
  • Hall (#79)
  • Bassitt (#94)
  • Means (#106)

Even after those guys, I have Bradish / Rom / Wells sitting in #4/#5 starter territory for the next few years, with Povich joining that group in 2026.

The model is a bit lower on GrayRod then I am personally, but there are just so many pitching prospects that flame out. That's still the best projection I've seen for a SP with 0 MLB innings.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd pass on Syndergaard, unless it was a one year deal.  He hasn't been healthy since 2019 and hasn't had a really outstanding season since 2018.  

I'd be fine with Clevinger, too.  

Clevinger has only thrown ~230 innings since the start of the 2019 season so he hasn't exactly been the picture of good health either.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Not a fan of paying any pitcher $30 or $40 million a year. That kind of money would be better spent on long term extensions for Henderson, Rutschman, and the like. We should be able to deal a handful of our expendable hot prospects for cheaper arms, rather than being high bidder on guys on the down side of thirty. 

Even if we extend Henderson and Rutschman - our payroll will remain absurdly low. There's no reason we can't bid on high priced pitchers on short term deals. They'll be off the books before any of the core need to be paid. 

4 hours ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

The dream for me would be Shohei for 3-4 years at 50 per. If there's any player in baseball that can singlehandedly increase revenue for a team, it's him. I'm sure plenty of owners feel the same about the revenue bump he'd provide so 3/150 or 4/200 is probably a low ball offer.

He doesn't have his FA yet, but I think that's a feature not a bug for a market like Baltimore getting a player like that.

The way the team is playing now deserves presence and appreciation, but if the Angels this offseason come to the same conclusion about him the Nats did with Soto, it looks to me like these Orioles bidding could make sense.   Ohtani of course would be 1.0 seasons compared to the 2.33 with Soto, including the third bite at the October apple.

I suppose Jorge Mateo has played well enough to shift some daydream magic beans from Correa to Ohtani.