Orioles at Rays. Sunday, August 14th

sportsfan8703

53 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Sunday’s game is the most important game of the year…

Until Monday.

No.  Since Sunday's also settles the tiebreak for the entire season between the Orioles and Rays... It is more important than Monday no matter what.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

We should treat it like a playoff game imo.  Whoever wins this game basically goes up two games because of the tiebreaker rule.  I would have quick hooks on the pitchers and use all your big guns if the game is close.  

The bullpen is in great shape if you can get five decent innings out of Lyles.

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

We should treat it like a playoff game imo.  Whoever wins this game basically goes up two games because of the tiebreaker rule.  I would have quick hooks on the pitchers and use all your big guns if the game is close.  

Bautista hasn't pitched since Tuesday and should be available to come in the eighth inning if needed to get the save. 

It is a fun angle if it comes into play, but I'll have to ask someone better than me at probability if you ran 100 sims how many BAL and TBR ended with exactly the same number of Wins *and* where that number is the dividing line between AL6 and AL7.     I'd guess <10%, maybe under <3%.

Most of the scenarios BAL and TBR are equal are probably good news for the AL Central second place team, conceding TOR-SEA the 4th and 5th spots.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Hall gave starters a rest for the day.  IF Mancini didn't blow up a mojo...inserting Hall for one start didn't either.  IMHO

**** I Think *****

Watkins had to pitch 3 innings in mop up duty. That’s hardly a day of rest and don’t try to sell me that it’s the same as a side session. He got bumped so Hall could start and fizzle. 

***** Disclosure: Note to @Sports Guydon’t have a link*****

Edited by Roll Tide

I am fine if warts and all the organization's August 13 conclusion was DL Hall gave them a better chance to compete with Shane McClanahan than Spenser Watkins.

I'd be troubled if it wasn't, actually.     We're now safely coloring inside the lines of having protected his bid for a 2023 RoY placement that could earn the Club a draft pick bonus.

Last article I saw about it mentioned the precise draft pick bonuses not yet set, but I assume by November when this year's awards get passed out someone will have to say something precise.     Plus we'll see how much of that there pre-arb pool money Felix Bautista and Adley Rutschman get.