2023 Rotation

Bahama O's Fan

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Does Hall not remind you of Scott when he was young? I'm not implying that Hall is destined for the fate that Scott has shown, but it does give me some trepidation about trying to guess where he'll end up down the road.

No he doesn’t.  Scott was a reliever, not a starter.  Yea, they are both left handed and throw hard but that’s about the extent of things.

Lots of players have been ranked high and failed.  Lots of players have had great stuff and failed.  Doesn’t mean the next guy will.

Hall is a highly ranked arm that quite frankly has limited pro innings.  

Im not overly concerned with him yet. It appears he will make it through this season healthy, which is great to see.  He will be in line to throw 130-160 innings next year.  

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

What’s wrong with making him beat up on players of inferior talent? Triple A has other good prospects but also AAAA players. I contend that if he can’t excel there why would we expect him to be better here or think he earned the call up which should be the reason to bring him up.

Let's say you want to get better at cornhole.

Are you more likely to improve playing against inferior competition or superior competition?

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hope you’re willing to eat a 20 loss season from Hall if he starts 35. He’s 2-6 in AAA. As of now, Hall is a reliever. I like Hall, but he needs to learn how to get AAA hitters out let alone MLB. As a starter. 

I don’t care about his win loss record. There are things that are out of his control. I care about walks, hits, and ERA. I know his K rate is not likely to be as high at AAA

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

What’s wrong with making him beat up on players of inferior talent? Triple A has other good prospects but also AAAA players. I contend that if he can’t excel there why would we expect him to be better here or think he earned the call up which should be the reason to bring him up.

I'm not a huge fan of guys who rate minor league players but as a whole, they tend to generally get things right. This guy is lauded by all as a special talent. 

I think you treat him differently if you believe you can get a better result. 

Just now, 7Mo said:

I'm not a huge fan of guys who rate minor league players but as a whole, they tend to generally get things right. This guy is lauded by all as a special talent. 

I think you treat him differently if you believe you can get a better result. 

Again …. he’s not proving he is right now. I know he has good stuff but he has to improve or MLB pitchers will destroy him again and again. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's say you want to get better at cornhole.

Are you more likely to improve playing against inferior competition or superior competition?

If you can’t beat the inferior talent it’s reasonable to believe that you’ll get beat against superior. In a cornhole league that’s competitive they wouldn’t care about your potential, they’d care about the results in the lower leagues.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

If you can’t beat the inferior talent it’s reasonable to believe that you’ll get beat against superior. In a cornhole league that’s competitive they wouldn’t care about your potential, they’d care about the results in the lower leagues.

You avoided answering my question a couple different ways there but whatever I'm stepping away from these arguments for a few to follow the game.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was Scott ever seen as a starting pitcher?

Was Scott lauded for his athleticism?

Did Scott ever have more than two pitches?

Are Scott and Hall both hard throwing left handed pitchers and therefor the same person?

Yes, no and no.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Again …. he’s not proving he is right now. I know he has good stuff but he has to improve or MLB pitchers will destroy him again and again. 

Well, in his first start he didn't get destroyed. How many hard hit balls did he give up? He's a high energy guy. It was his first major league start. He was amped to the gills. That's likely the worst he will be for a long time. And I think you mean MLB hitters but whatever. How many K's?

He was throwing a fastball down the middle that was running all the way off the plate inside. The number of people who can do that is remarkably small. This guy is a special talent. 

Is he ready? Nope. But that doesn't matter to me. What matters is what this coaching staff believes is the very best way to develop him as a MLB starting pitcher. If they believe that next year he needs to be in the starting rotation and take his lumps, I'm good with it. 

I'm typically a big believer in leaving a guy in the minor leagues until he demands a promotion. But DL Hall ain't just any guy. If you believe you can develop him better, bring the dude up and start him. And live with whatever that development  costs. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was Scott ever seen as a starting pitcher?

Was Scott lauded for his athleticism?

Did Scott ever have more than two pitches?

Are Scott and Hall both hard throwing left handed pitchers and therefor the same person?

He was a starter at one point.

I thought Scott was a well regarded player in the MiL. In his scouting report he was listed as athletic.

Yes, the last question you posed was exactly what I wanted to imply.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You avoided answering my question a couple different ways there but whatever I'm stepping away from these arguments for a few to follow the game.

We can agree to disagree. I don’t think you fix control issues and mechanics at the higher level. That’s why we have the minors. I love his potential. I said he wasn’t ready the other night but was wising him the best. I was right … but I’m an idiot that doesn’t know anything (rolls eyes). 

14 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Well, in his first start he didn't get destroyed. How many hard hit balls did he give up? He's a high energy guy. It was his first major league start. He was amped to the gills. That's likely the worst he will be for a long time. And I think you mean MLB hitters but whatever. How many K's?

He was throwing a fastball down the middle that was running all the way off the plate inside. The number of people who can do that is remarkably small. This guy is a special talent. 

Is he ready? Nope. But that doesn't matter to me. What matters is what this coaching staff believes is the very best way to develop him as a MLB starting pitcher. If they believe that next year he needs to be in the starting rotation and take his lumps, I'm good with it. 

I'm typically a big believer in leaving a guy in the minor leagues until he demands a promotion. But DL Hall ain't just any guy. If you believe you can develop him better, bring the dude up and start him. And live with whatever that development  costs. 

Noted … let’s see

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Cornhole league.  Lol

WTF?!

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cornhole league.  Lol

WTF?!

I believe he was just adding to the hypothetical CoC mentioned. 

This thread has so many tiffs and scuffles, it hurts my head. I'm not sure who had their feathers ruffled by who (whom)