2023 Rotation

Bahama O's Fan

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hope you’re willing to eat a 20 loss season from Hall if he starts 35. He’s 2-6 in AAA. As of now, Hall is a reliever. I like Hall, but he needs to learn how to get AAA hitters out let alone MLB. As a starter. 

He recorded 11 outs as a ML starter and more than half were by SO.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Nope …. I think we should make guys earn promotions by dominating in the minors. Why let him build up innings in the majors. He should be able to pitch 6 regularly before he gets here. He’s pitched 80 so far.let’s say he does 20 more.then what only 125 next year?

Should the O's treat every prospect the same or should we recognize that this guy is uniquely talented?

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If the last 4 or 5 starts is an accurate indication I don’t see how we’d expect him to go 5. As a baseball executive I’d want him to earn his promotion. My philosophy would be, show me in the minors. Bedard was pretty dominant in the minors as I recall. 

Have you noticed what the Rays are doing with their starting pitching? 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

What ….I just posted their starters innings from the last series 5.2, 6, and 8+

Do you recall anything about the concept of an opener? Or pulling Snell when he was rolling? Or the number of times outside of this most recent series where they've asked a starter to pitch 3 innings or less? Do you believe the Rays require their starters to dominate for 6 IP before they're promoted?

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No …don’t care about autographs. Never saw him pitch before that start. But, I can read a stat line and see where a guy is and isn’t doing well. Strike outs are great but walks, hits, and runs are a problem at the rate he’s allowed them in the minors. I’d make him dominate in the minors.

The question about autographs was rhetorical, but thx for clearing that up.

You can read a stat line? Awesome. Didn’t you play ball? I don’t remember what level, but most guys understand there’s s as learning curve for these guys. If Elias wants him to get his feet wet vs ML hitters then many, like me, are relieved to see him make moves that promote the very players who can be part of the next winning team. 

You don’t do that by having hard and fast rules about innings pitched or giving up less hits or walks. Yes, in a perfect world that works be great, but the process is usually more nuanced than that. Manny didn’t “dominate” the minors. There was a need at the ML level and they knew he was capable. 

Hall is also capable and his stuff is ML ready. He needs to refine it and they’re going to do that to the best of their ability. 

Edited by Il BuonO