Arizona Fall League announced 2022 schedule and affiliations

Legend_Of_Joey

On 8/17/2022 at 6:01 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

This might be the only team to watch. The Orioles will be with the Giants, Angels, Braves, and Red Sox to make up the Scottsdale Scorpions team.

Players will be announced at a later date, usually a few weeks before the season starts.

Have you ever been?  I've gone twice, once on my own and once with weams.  It's awesome watching baseball there, with all the stadiums being so close to each other. 

Looks like this year they'll also be playing a couple games at Chase Field.  Nice. 

Can't get there this year (which would probably be a perfect year for it since the O's will be playing postseason ball in 2023, '24, '25... 😁), but I like going the weekend of the Fall Stars game, in which you'll see the top prospects from across the leagues, rather than the championship game where you only see those from the top two AFL squads. 

• Like 1

I would love to go, missed my window before having kids though, so it will likely be a few years now.

I don't expect the Orioles to send a whole fleet of interesting players this year though, most of the top guys are too advanced for the AFL.

Kjerstad is probably the closest to a sure thing to go. Norby, Hernaiz, Ortiz and Prieto are probably the most likely top 25 position players to go along with the recently acquired pitchers, Johnson, Povich and McDermott. I think Cowser is probably too advanced, but he is a possibility too, I guess. They could also send one or two players that they will have to make a 40-man roster decision on this winter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, justD said:

Have you ever been?  I've gone twice, once on my own and once with weams.  It's awesome watching baseball there, with all the stadiums being so close to each other. 

Looks like this year they'll also be playing a couple games at Chase Field.  Nice. 

Can't get there this year (which would probably be a perfect year for it since the O's will be playing postseason ball in 2023, '24, '25... 😁), but I like going the weekend of the Fall Stars game, in which you'll see the top prospects from across the leagues, rather than the championship game where you only see those from the top two AFL squads. 

I’ve wanted to go for a while, but never did due to life situations. I am interested in hitting up the AFL Fall Stars Derby and game this year though since it’s on a weekend.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hmmm.   If the O’s put some actual prospects on the roster, maybe I’ll think about a trip.  Not too interested if it’s a bunch of marginal Rule 5 guys they’re trying to get a last look at, like last year.  

I think it will be a combination. Last year was weird as a lot of prospects were dealing with injuries late in the year and pitchers were on a tight pitch count due to 2020.

It also depends how the roster breakdown goes. Orioles almost always seem to be incharge of sending a catcher, infielder, outfielder, and 3 pitchers, but that might change.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I would love to go, missed my window before having kids though, so it will likely be a few years now.

I don't expect the Orioles to send a whole fleet of interesting players this year though, most of the top guys are too advanced for the AFL.

Kjerstad is probably the closest to a sure thing to go. Norby, Hernaiz, Ortiz and Prieto are probably the most likely top 25 position players to go along with the recently acquired pitchers, Johnson, Povich and McDermott. I think Cowser is probably too advanced, but he is a possibility too, I guess. They could also send one or two players that they will have to make a 40-man roster decision on this winter.

As cool as it would be to have Johnson develop Wolverine-esque healing, I think the TJ surgery will keep him out of the AFL.  😁

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 1:08 PM, MurphDogg said:

As I suspected, Kjerstad headlines the group. Denoyer makes sense as a Rule 5 bubble guy and Prieto is the only other top-30 prospect on the roster.

Hoffman and Lucas are also Rule 5 eligible and have both spent most of the season in Bowie's bullpen and largely seem like org guys, as does Richmond a 24-year-old who spent the season in Aberdeen.

Trimble is a bit of a surprise, as he hasn't gotten out of low A ball (or even played particularly well in it), but he could certainly use the reps.

Trimble put up an OPS of .812 in August in 18 games and he went through the same thing as Joe Ortiz as far as I know.   I think it's great that he and Kjerstad are getting more reps against AA caliber competition.